1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cannot start windows

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by tienyboi, Mar 12, 2007.

1. tienyboi

tienyboi Member

I'm new here and i don't know very much about computers. I was wondering if anyone could help with this problem.
    I was running RegRun and was deleting some viruses i had on my comp. What i didnt know was i might have deleted some other files. After i was done i rebooted my comp to see if there were any viruses still on my processor. It was fine until i got to the login screen i couldn't type or move the cursor at all. I rebooted and the same thing happened. I tried to put it in safe mode but it reboots. And i tried Last known working configration but the same thing happened, i couldn't type or move the cursor at all during the login screen. After awhile, when i turn on my computer, it keeps rebooting after the windows logo over and over. Now every option i try it automaticly reboots. Then i disabled automatic restart if system failure and after it loads i get a blue screen with this message:

Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry Cannot Load The Hive (File): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\Software or its log or alternate, It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technician for assistance.

Help with this problem would be much appreciated, Thanks. =)

2. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

Not good! First of all, whenever you do anything with the registry, back it up!

Registry and Backup Tutorial: http://www.theeldergeek.com/windows_xp_registry.htm

But that's foir later, now we need to fix you up!

I assume you still have your Windows XP installation disc? Put that in the drive of your computer, and then restart it. When it boots from the disc, and a blue screen comes up, press the "R" key to enter Recovery Console.

What we're going to do is restore a backup of the hive that was created the first time you booted your Windows XP installation.

There's a lot of different things to do for different problems, so I'm just going to direct you to a few links:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545/
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

Recovery Console:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Good luck, if you have any problems you know where to find us.

3. tienyboi

tienyboi Member

i was wondering if i do do this, will i lose all of the data i had on my computer?

4. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

You shouldn't, but anything is possible.

Do you know anything about computer hardware? If you wanted to backup data just in case before you did it, you could take the hard drive out of the computer with the corrupted registry hive, and plug it in as a second drive in another working computer. You boot the computer up from the first drive like normally, and theoretically it will recognize the second drive, and you will be able to read and execute files on the second drive.

So you could back up your stuff that way on to the first drive, on the DVD-R's, or to USB devices...

5. tienyboi

tienyboi Member

Oh cool, thanks. But should i just switch the hardrives? so i can back up data on the working computer. Now i need to figure out which one is the hardrive =)

6. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

The operating system is stored on the hard drive. Since your operating system won't boot, just swapping the hard drives will only result in the same problem on a different computer.

You can boot from the hard drive with the good registry and fully functional operating system, with the other hard drive attached as a "slave" drive, and be able to see the data.

Although, by doing the recovery console like I was saying before, I'm fairly confident you won't lose any data. You may lose some settings, but those you can adjust.

7. tienyboi

tienyboi Member

Ok, i just hooked on the hard drive to a working computer as a slave drive. Now how do i open it and see the data files on it? When i open My Computer i see a Local Disk (F:) and it says do you want to format this drive? do i have to format the drive? I'm not sure if i have the right CD if i have to do the recovery. Theres like 5 CD's and its called Compaq Recovery Creator. Their on a CD-R btw.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  8. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

Don't format it, because then you will lose the data.

The disc you're looking for should be the one that says "MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP INSTALLATION DISC" or something along the lines of that.

That's strange that it is asking you to format the drive. Are you sure it is installed correctly? Did you try opening explorer and browsing the drive?

Press START, find "My Computer" and right-click on it. In the menu, select "Manage". When Computer Manaemnet program opens, in the menu on the left, select "Disk Management" Tell me the details of every device labeled "Disk" and what the partitions look like on it.

9. tienyboi

tienyboi Member

[​IMG]

well heres what it looks like. That should be the drive i think because last i remember i had about 3-5 GB of memory left.

EDIT: OH WAIT NEVERMIND. I see the data now =) i just didnt know it would be merged with the regular computer data.
    I can see all the data within My Computer but how would i see the data that was on my previous desktop? Where would that data be stored?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  10. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

Good, as you probably discovered the drive you're looking for is PRESARIO (E:)

The PATH to your desktop would be E:\Documents and Settings\Username\Desktop

Where "username" is the account name on your old computer.

11. tienyboi

tienyboi Member

Ok, my account name for my old computer would be TienLam but it isn't found. I think it's probably in Owner or Administrator But it denies me from opening it.

[​IMG]

12. rcrockett

rcrockett Regular member

Log off the computer you are on, and log back on with the Administrator account or an account with Administrators rights.

Did you find the XP Installation disc?

13. tienyboi

tienyboi Member

I am already logged in as an administrator abd restarted my computer but i still cannot access the files. Im still looking for the disk and i don't think i have it. This is what i found though:

[​IMG]