1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant Archive my MP3s to a DVD

Discussion in 'Audio' started by aussie99, Mar 27, 2005.

1. aussie99

aussie99 Member

Hi All ...
    hope I'm in the right forum.

I've recently bought an LG DVD writer and am trying to archive my MP3 collection onto DVD media. The problem is that everytime i try it seems to just lock up at some point. I'll try to explain what happens but I'm a bit of a novice so sorry if I sound stupid.

I'm using Nero 6 Ultra burning program.
    I drag my files across etc and start it burning (i've tried 4x speed but this also locks)
    The 'used read buffer' initially fills and eveything seems to be going steady.
    Then the used read buffer starts to gradually fall, until it eventually hits zero (is this what the you call buffer underrun ?)This can be at any point from the dvd being 20% complete to 99%. The 'used read buffer' then suddenly fills straight back up to 100% and it all seems to lock. The dvd writer door wont open and if eventually have to restart.

I've now wasted about 20 blank dvds and have tried a couple of different makes of media.

To me it seems that I've either
    1) got my settings completely wrong.
    2) nero is pants ...or
    3) my dvd writer is a load of s###.

Can anyone help me ??

Cheers All ..
    Aus

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  2. weazel200

weazel200 Regular member

First off in Nero try seeing if there is an option that says something like "lock disc drive when in use" and untick, deselect or whatever so this wont happen. Are you trying to make an audio cd with mp3's on it or a data cd with the mp3's archived which can only be played on a pc.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  3. redand

redand Member

I have the same problem and cant seem to find anything in guides my gut feeling is it is something to do with my Nero configuration
    Can anyone help us out here
    please as my HD is filling up fast

4. aussie99

aussie99 Member

Hi All ...

feel a bit foolish here bit think I may have sorted it.

It would appear that to burn a 4.7 gig dvd, I needed a good 15+gig of free space on my HD. I had 10g left and nothing was working.
    So...
    Deleted some crap ... got to 15gig free and ain't had a problem since.

Go figure eh !!

Stay Happy
    Steve

5. bennywk

bennywk Member

Are you guys using the "Nero Express" in Nero 6 Ultra Edition, which is much easy to use by the way.

Anyway, if you wouldn't mind to try with Nero Express, when you open the program, there is a button "More" at the bottom, click that. Then, you will see "Configure", click that. A window pop up and will allow you to change some setting, there is a page "Ultrabuffer", which allows you to provide extra memory as the secondary buffer for Nero, try to add some memory there and try to close some programs before you burn the CD or DVD. It should work.

If not, you may want to check if there is some spyware or something take-up your whole memory which causes the buffer underrun situation. You can hit [ctrl+alt+del] to look at the windows task manager, look at the processes page, click te CPU colume, until you see the number in descending order, check which program takes up all your memory.

Otherwise, it should not be that to have buffer underrun. Check it.

Hope it will work for you.