1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Burn 1x-8x media!!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by XMP2K5, Jan 20, 2005.

1. XMP2K5

XMP2K5 Member

I have a Nec 1300a 4x burner and I can't seem to burn on discs that are labeled 1x-8x. I bought some sony 1x-8x and they would not burn on this media, but when I use 1x-4x sony media it burns fine. Is there a way around this problem?

2. Kingd

Kingd Guest

8x media aren't compatable with all players. Stick to 4x media and you should be fine. Here's a link to your burner at videohelp.com.
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters...m=&dvdrom=&orderby=Name&hits=25&Search=Search
    It has a lengthy list of media it plays and lots of reviews. Perhaps there's a mention there as to which if any 8x media it will burn. It seems like the player has been around awhile so you might want to check for latest firmware as well.

3. XMP2K5

XMP2K5 Member

What I don't understand is if it says 1x-8x why won't my burner recognize the discs since 4x falls in that range

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Your firmware probably does not recognize the media code on the sony 1-8x,so therefore,it can't burn them.

The sony 4x has a different manufacturer code.Like most brands of media.Sony uses quite a few different manufacturers just like every name brand media out there.

I take it you are using the sony +1-8x. My benq firmware recognizes this same media and will allow me to burn it at 16x if I don't double check my burn settings.

Try finding a newer update for your nec 1300a firmware.

5. Kingd

Kingd Guest

XMP2K5: Well it's not that simple. 8x media is relatively new and probably newer then your burner is. I don't know the details but the newer 8x media uses a new standard which is different then the older 1-4x media. Saugmon makes a great point in that drive manufacturers put out firmware updates which in many cases allows older drives to use the newer media. Check with NEC for firmware updates on your drive. I'm sure they have a site somwhere, search with google.