1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't burn DL media w/ Nero, DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by kngbidder, Apr 30, 2005.

1. kngbidder

kngbidder Guest

TRAVIS HERE,

I AM HAVING PROBLEMS BURNING DUAL LAYER DISCS ON MY COMPUTER. I AM RUNNING NERO 6.6.0.12, DVD SHRINK 3.2, NERO VISION 3.0.1.4, DVD DECRYPTER 3.5.4.0, TMPGEnc 2.5, AND A MAD DOG MD-16XDVD9 BURNER.

I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH 4.7 GB DISCS AT ALL WITH ANY PROGRAM BUT I JUST BOUGHT A DVD DUAL LAYER DISC (MEMOREX)AND TRIED FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER TO BURN A MOVIE TONIGHT WITH A DUAL LAYER AND FAILED ON NERO FIRST 1/4 OF THE WAY IN ON THE FIRST LAYER, DVD SHRINK 3/4 OF THE WAY IN ON THE FIRST LAYER AND 32 PERCENT IN ON THE FIRST LAYER WITH DVD DECRYPTER.

I TOOK A PICTURE TO SHOW WITH DVD DECRYPTER THE MESSAGE. CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT MIGHT BE THE PROBLEM AND HOW I CAN FIX IT AND PLEASE IF YOU KNOW THE ANSWER GO INTO GREAT DETAIL AND TELL ME EXACTLY HOW I CAN CHANGE IT I AM VERY GOOD WITH COMPUTERS SO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SUGAR COAT IT. DO YOU THINK JUNK BURNER, JUNK DISCS OR WHAT?

SINCERELY,
    TRAVIS

http://imagehost.darkernet.co.uk/i/manuaL002.jpg

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

From the way the employees at CompUSA were talking shit on these, not sure if the burner is very good. If you say you have had success with single layer discs, then maybe your burner isn't the problem. Memorex is not exactly considered top of the line(or middle, or even bottom of the barrel). The single layer memorex are not all that reliable, so I'm going to assume the DL discs are just as good.

Let me know your procedure for backing up using DVD Decrypter. If you have it, post your nero log as well. Maybe we can find where you are going wrong.

Oh, and no caps next time. Against forum rules.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  4. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Sounds like it's a media issue to me. Perhaps you might want to consider the "2.4X Verbatim DVD+R DL [advanced AZO]", I've used them before and it's 10 times superior than Memorex.

5. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Hey alkohol, have you tried the DL Memorex discs?

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

kngbidder aka. Travis,

Read the forum rules. No all caps.

7. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

Yes.... and they sucks big time. Nearly 2 months ago, I decided to grab a pack of Verbatim and Memorex[which comes in 3 discs in a pack on sale], both were DVD+R DL to test on my Sony Dru 710 Dual Burner. In the end, 2 coaster on Memorex and all successfully backed up with Verbatim. Yes...I hate Memorex and no Memorex for me. For single layer movies back up, I've used FUJI, MAXELL, TDK and SONY only. Overall, I would say it's 99.9% successful.

8. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

What the media code on those memorex DL discs?

9. kngbidder

kngbidder Guest

Hey Travis here,

when I joined last night I was pissed at my machine for doing this to my discs so I logged in asap. Actually I did'nt even read the rules at all but I always write in caps because then I can write faster and not have to uppercase and lowercase everything.

Before I go any further I am going to go get some Verbatim discs and see what happens. I was under the belief that memorex were really good (apperently not).

Whe I use dvd decrypter to make the disc, I burn the iso file with dvd shrink and as soon as it is done encoding it goes straight to dvd decrypter on its own and from there I just click the write picture (picture of the hard drive with an arrow pointing to the disc) and it is on it's way.

Last night is the first time I have ever actually had to use dvd decrypter because usually dvd shrink does it every time with no problems and every now and then I will use nero but most times not.

Sincerely,
    Travis a.k.a. kngbidder

10. gamename

gamename Regular member

i have a sony and a mad dog,niether has given any problems.i do dvd+r dl verbatims 8.5 gb all the time with both.i use decryter to rip,then use nero to pull up file and burn.

11. JVC

JVC Active member

Did you remember to set the size to 8.5 gb in Decrypter? Or did you take it for granted that it would automatically set it for you? Maybe the newer version does it for you?
    I'm using an older version (3.2.1) of Decrypter. Have downloaded the newest, but haven't installed yet. I've burned 3 DL discs, and all three were perfect. I used Verbatim discs too. My burner is a LiteOn.........
    Good luck!

12. steve7777

steve7777 Member

I have made 2 dvd backups w/ these memorex DVD's

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/179547

I had to update my firmware but after that both my NEC 3500 and 6500 drives worked with this media.

That being said, when I played one of the backups w/ my Denon 2900 DVD player, it skiped at the layer break. I fast forwareded and everything played perfectly

By the way, the best way to do dual layer discs is to rip with decrypter in Iso Read mode, and then use decrytper in ISO write mode but select the MDS file.
    The media code is:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD+R-DL:RITEK-D01-001]
    Disc & Book Type : [DVD+R DL] - [Not Available]
    Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
    Manufacturer ID : [RITEK]
    Media Type ID : [D01]
    Product Revision : [001]
    Blank Disc Capacity : [4,173,824 Sectors = 8,152.0MB = 7.96GB (8.55GB)]
    Recording Speeds : [1x , 2.4x]
    [ DVD Identifier - http://DVD.Identifier.CDfreaks.com ]

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  13. RXV2300

RXV2300 Regular member

Hello Travis,

I've read what you've mentioned & to me it sounds like you don't have the right hardware to read/write DL.
    Don't forget DL is just starting to come into the market & not evetyone has them. Regular computer dvdr/rw will not read DL discs.
    You need to make sure that your hardware is capable of reading dl otherwise you are out of luck & DL media will not work if your hardware is not capable.

14. hijacker

hijacker Guest

It may be a media issue like this Alkohol said.It may not be suitable for Memorex(ritek) discs.I was going to buy this same drive myself.The price was pretty good but I passed on buying a mad dog DL burner because I read on line that it doesn't have any firmware updates for the drive.I can't say that this is all true, that may have changed.But thats why I didn't buy one at CompUSA.And that could be a reason why the employees there give this drive flak.If you want an inexpensive drive try NEC or Lite-on.You can find lots of firmware updates online for your burner.The reason you want firmware updates for you drive is because it helps the drive in accepting different brands of media.ex.Memorex.If that was me and it your choice, I would consider paying for a better burner.Or, look on line and try to find a firmware update and then retry the Memorex DLDVD.I myself haven't had any problems with Memorex DVD's.But they are a cheaper make of Ritek's disc.DVD decrypter can tell you the real manufacturer of the disc.Go to mad dogs website and look and see if there is an update.

15. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

Hey Travis, just use decrypter by itself next time. ISO read, then ISO write and make sure you chose the mds file as steve suggested.

I would still like to see the nero log for the dl backup error, if you have it.

16. kngbidder

kngbidder Guest

Travis here,

The first time I tried to burn a dual layer last night it instantly shut me down (turned off right at recording), so after going to mad dogs website I was able to update my firmware and I thought I had it going because it would actually start burning but shutdown partially in.

I am burning on my other computer right now with verbatim and I am 38% in right now with no problems on nero (that computer is strictly for burning purposes only so no viruses or anything can damage it only hardware) but we will see.

By the way, while I was at Micro Center I looked on the box my mad dog came in to see what it said since I forgot and it said it was dl compatible.

sincerely,
    kngbidder

17. kngbidder

kngbidder Guest

Travis here,

I used verbatim and it burned the movie just fine, but when i try to play back it acts like a broken record and keeps skipping on whatever chapter I go to until my windows media player just froze up and I had to eject the disc. Any ideas.

sincerely,
    Travis

18. gamename

gamename Regular member

if u have the movie still on your hdd try burning it with nero,that came with the mad dog burner. i copy with decryter in file mode then go to nero and select burn dvd files. select the file. make sure the blank disc is in the burner.

19. kngbidder

kngbidder Guest

I was on the verge of tears when I couldnt get it to work but then I tried dvd decrypter to burn the iso file, stuck it in my sony 5-disc DVP-NC875V,it worked and relief washed over me in an awesome way. Just kidding but it did work great.

Success thanks to some upgrades and help from you I have successfully burned my first duallayer dvd. Thanks guys and I hope your there when I need your help again.

Sincerely,
    Travis

20. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

So finally you have a successful backed up with "Verbatim" afterall. Congratulation with a better media. Well, since you burned/backed up your movie fine, but when playing in your stand alone dvd player it keeps skipping on chapters or acts like a broken record - this sounds like your "stand alone dvd player" to me. If you don't mind, how old is your dvd player by chance? Is it a DVD+R DL compatible? How fast is your DL back up when performed? Keep in mind that "not all" stand alone dvd players are capable of reading the new DVD+R DL disc, except a few in the market now. Speaking of personal experienced, I, myself, have the PHILIPS DVP642 and the SUMSUNG DVD-P241[they're not the best, but worth the price of $69] - I've tested both with Verbatim dvd+r DL, and they both played flawlessly.

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  21. cecilia

cecilia Guest

Dear my friend,

Few months ago I wrote the story how I burned dual layer. I succesfully burned dual layer. So The first thing I used :

1/ Decrypter to rip DVD9 in to the folder of C (DVD volumme ) - using ISO of Decrypter to decryp DVD9.
    2/ Using NERO 6 Burning ROM (the latest version of NERO 6 update in the website) and using option DVDISO and BURN. This is my experience.
    I used Dual layer VERBATIM disk and device dual burning from NEC dual layer N2500A.

Hopely this message will help a lot of the people how to burn dual layer What kind of the Disk must buy (VERBATIM is excellent)

Important message : Last week I bought 5 disk dual layer from RIDATA (RITEK). I want to try this disk but the burning is failing and I use VERBATIM it is really succesfully burning dual layer.