1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't burn dvd-r on plextor 708A

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cbilash, Apr 21, 2004.

1. cbilash

cbilash Guest

I just purchased a plextor px-708A. Using any dvd+r and dvd+rw media the 708A has performed flawlessly. However, when I try dvd-r media I always get the same error message..."CD burning failed during the burning step". The error comes up almost immediately. I have used 2x TDK (which is recommended by plextor) and Imation. Tech support at plextor has been useless. Can anyone suggest anything or guide me in the right direction? Thanks in advance.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Do you have firmware version 1.06?

I've had my 708A for several months now and never had a problem burning -R, but the only -R I've used is Ritek G04 media.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2004
  3. cbilash

cbilash Guest

Thanks for your reply. I do have firmware 1.06. I will give Ritek I try and see if that helps. Plextor support finally got back to me and they want me to bios update my motherboard and eide controller. Though I'm a novice that sounds risky to me when I have no other issues. My computer is a dell 4600 w/2.4 that is only about 6 months old. Would you know if that sounds reasonable to do? Thanks.

4. Nephilim

Generally BIOS updates are helpful to overall system performance and couldn't hurt even if it doesn't solve your problem.

You might give updating your ASPI a try before updating the BIOS. Here's a link that explains why ASPI is so important and gives instuctions:

http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

If you have any trouble let us know :)

5. cbilash

cbilash Guest

I will give your suggestions a go and see what happens. And I will let you know. Thanks.

6. cbilash

cbilash Guest

Well, I tried them all without success. I updated the ASPI and the BIOS without any change. The only thing I didn't do was try Ritek as I couldn't find the media. As an additional note, I did try -RW which worked without any problems. Does this sound more and more like it's a media problem, even though the media I'm using is recommended by Plextor? Thanks.

7. Nephilim

It could very well be a media problem. I sort of wonder about the wisdom of listing TDK as recommended because they buy from different manufacturers and put their name on it.

Would you be so kind as to download DVD Info Pro (free and very good) to find out who made your particular TDK's and let me know? Here's a link:

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

Riteks can be hard to find in stores but are readily available on the net for very good prices. In the meantime, another very good media you can probably find in the store is Verbatim Metal AZO (or any other media that uses Metal AZO) if you want to give those a try.

Hasta :)

8. cbilash

cbilash Guest

Thanks. I will try that when I get home from work this evening. I will also run that dvdpro and let you know the results.

9. cbilash

cbilash Guest

I ran the dvdinfo pro on the TDK disk. I pressed the media info button which I hope was the right one. It came up under manufacturer as a TDKG02000000 disk. As for my troubles, change in disk didn't help but I couldn't find a Verbatim or a metal AZO disk, though likely I was looking in the wrong place. I tried a Memorex -R since a Memorex -RW worked so I thought maybe that was the key. No such luck.

10. Nephilim

What software are you using to burn?

11. cbilash

cbilash Guest

I've tried two. First I used Pinnacle Studio AV/DV Version 9. After about $20 worth of failures trying to write to -R on that I thought it might be a software problem so I uninstalled Pinnacle and installed the software that came with the Plextor. That software is the Easy CD and Dvd Creator 6. By the way, when the -R failed there the error given was "seek, synch, ATIP or mechanical positioning error" with the numbers (or date?) 03/02/00 after that.

12. Nephilim

TDKG02000000 is the one recommended by Plextor so I don't see why they're not burning.

I've never run into that error that you listed. Did Plextor support have any comment on it?

I'm at a loss for what's wrong other than assuming it's a bad drive. Considering everything we've tried, I'd return it since it's new. Mine whistles through both formats wonderfully and you shouldn't have these headaches with a new drive.

13. cbilash

cbilash Guest

I agree entirely. Not to mention that it's cost me about $50 in disks trying all these times and different disks. Plextor has suggested the bios update and all different medias. If I had bought it locally I would've returned it already. Unfortunately I bought it online so I need an RMA through Plextor. I agree with you and told them I want to return it. They suggested still more other media to try. Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I appreciate it a lot.

14. Nephilim

DAMN!!! That's the real pisser about your perdicament - RW's burn fine but not R so you have no choice but to test R.

That's a really apathetic aproach especially since even their recommended media isn't working!

My pleasure :) I'm even bummed we didn't get this sorted out. Drop a line back in this thread and let me know how things go with the new drive. Good luck :)

15. cbilash

cbilash Guest

Thanks, I will. All your points are well taken. At this point I can't find Ritek locally and the most inexpensive Verbatim I can find is still $30 for ten. Not a bad price, but a little too much considering all I've spent so far. I'm gonna see if I can find a better deal somewhere then test it. Hopefully some day I'll have a good ending to post!

16. rennogsd

rennogsd Member

Hi. I was reading this submission and wanted to say I have had the same error messages with my Benq dvd recorder

seek, synch, atip or mechanical positioning error

as of yet I have been able to find no reason for this but like you have used about fifty or sixty bucks in dvd's trying to get around it. occasionally I do, but most of the time I get this error. Any luck finding out what causes it?

17. cbilash

cbilash Guest

Hi. I can't say I've found the answer thought it looks like the cause is the Pinnacle Studio 9 software. Plextor finally sent me a new drive but I had the same problem. So, we uninstalled all copying software and the drive. After the drive was redetected I installed the Easy CD Creator 6 software that comes with the drive. Everything worked fine. I was able to then record dvd-r all media brands.

I prefered Pinnacle for it's superior editing features. Plextor support said I should be able to run Pinnacle so I installed that also. When I did, not only couldn't I record -R using Pinnacle, I also couldn't when I tried to use Easy CD Creator. After uninstalling Pinnacle and reinstalling Easy Creator everthing is working again.

So, looks like a compatabitity problem somewhere between my computer, the software, and the drive, though Pinnacle insists the drive is compatable with its software.

However, at this point, I've already invested too much time and money trying to fix the problem to deal with Pinnacle now. So, I'm going to use Easy Creator til I can find a reasonable priced editing software. I may go with Easy Creator 7 since that should insure me no compatability issues.

Thanks for everyone's efforts and help. It was all greatly appreciated.

18. Nephilim

Just a word of warning, Easy CD/DVD will interfere with many other apps you may use with DVDs. Did you have some version of Easy CD/DVD installed while trying to use Pinnacle? That could possibly explain why Pinnacle was screwing up.

Glad you got something to work though!

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Since I am still waiting for my Plextor I can't offer any more than hear-say, but from what I've been reading the software that comes with the Plex requires a little setting up to get it burning just right. I know! DUH!
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  20. cbilash

cbilash Guest

When I first installed the Plextor drive, I didn't even install the Easy CD software just the Pinnacle. That's when I first discovered the Pinnacle didn't work on -r media. I then installed the Easy CD and the -r didn't work there either. That's what lead Plextor to eventually think it was the drive. It was only after reinstalling the drive and first only installing the easy CD software that -R recording worked.

As for the burning just with the Easy CD software and Plextor, I'm happy to say I haven't had any problems there.

Thanks again.