1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Burn DVD-R Using IMGBURN

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by CoolZaim, Jan 5, 2008.

1. CoolZaim

CoolZaim Member

I just keep getting Power Calibration errors, I really need to burn this disc quickly, and I do not know what to do.
    I tried doing the tutorials on this site, like updating my driver. I updated my LITE-ON DVDRW LH20A1P to the latest firmware KLON. After that, i9 tried burning again, still got the error. How can I make this error go away!
    I am running Windows XP.
    Please give suggestions, thanks.

2. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Understanding DVD power calibration checks and problems
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The correct amount of laser power needed to write each DVD-R disc varies according to the individual recorder, disc, and environmental writing conditions, so before any write operation, all recorders must do a 15 step power test to determine the optimum power for writing to the DVD; this is called "Optimum Power Calibration"(OPC). This whole process is controlled by the recorder, and is initiated by programs such as Nero or other disc writing applications.
    The process is accomplished by writing test patterns in the Power Calibration Area (PCA), located on the inner part of the DVD, at different laser powers and reading them back to look for the differences (asymmetry or beta) between the lengths of pits and lands. A DVD-R disc's PCA accommodates 7,088 discreet calibrations.
    The power setting responsible for the desired amount of beta is then established as the needed recording power for the disc. All the information acquired during the OPC operation is written for future reference in the disc's Recording Management Area (RMA).
    The DVD specification also recommends the use of Running Optimum Power Control (Running OPC) to help ensure that the proper recording power is used across the entire disc.
    Running OPC's ability to deal with variations in hardware and media (as well as dust, scratches, and fingerprints on discs) plays a critical role in ensuring data integrity. If you receive a "Power calibration error" error message the cause will be either poor media, poor power, or a defective recorder.

3. CoolZaim

CoolZaim Member

It can't be poor media, poor power or poor recorder because my media is vertabim, my pc is very good and my recorder is brand new.

4. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Check source disc quality.
    Download this utility, use the scan disc application to test your DVD.
    http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

If the source disc is OK try.
    Uninstalling/Reinstalling Image burn
    Reducing burning speed
    A different burning application.
    Test Verbatim media

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  5. CoolZaim

CoolZaim Member

I am already using verbatim.

Thanks for the tool, i will use it soon.

And by the way, I have a low 256MB of ram, my friend says that might be the problem, is it?

Thanks.

6. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Windows Xp will operate on a minimum of 256MB of Ram, but you should have 1GB. How old is your computer? What brand and model? My Media Center uses about 409MB of Ram while idling, off the Internet, 2 to 4 percent of CPU power usuage, 56 processes running. When I start a DVD burn my RAM usage jumps to 507MB. WinXP has ways of dealing with a certain amount of buffer over run, it will only slow the burn process down if you don't have quite enough memory installed. If you don't have enough memory, Windows will prompt you, "Not Enough Memory." However, I don't think this has anything to do with a Power Calibration error. A bad disc is usually the problem. Check your source disc.

7. CoolZaim

CoolZaim Member

My pc is not very old.
    I ran the chekc, eveyrhting seems to be fine. yet I still get the errors.

8. QuikDraw

QuikDraw Regular member

Well, I've pretty much told you all I know about the subject of "Power Calibration errors". In the AD search box type, "Power Calibration errors" There you will find several other threads about this specific error. Any of which may contain the information your looking for. There may be some other fix I have no knowledge of.

Good luck!