1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant burn fast anymore?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by seadale, Jan 23, 2005.

1. seadale

seadale Regular member

brobear, what do you mean by getting a new key, never got one to begin with. Do you have to register to use the trial period. the program never pompted me to? guess i'll e-mail them to find what up?. looks like me & mdinap are in the same boat. My other question is, i asked yesterday with no response, when i went to ide 2ndary. the top drop down said dma, so did the bottom box. the top box says device zero, transfer rate: dma if available, below that it says current transfer mode "pio" mode. because it says device zero, does that mean its not an active setting? Dont like seeing that pio mode. tnx again!

2. brobear

brobear Guest

I believe it's a 21 day trial that expires. The clock starts when you do the first install. Trials don't need a key. To have a registered version that won't expire, that takes a key to activate the first time and that has to be purchased. After all, it is retail and they want to make their money.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

It is an active setting. How many times to we have to say, "You need to be in DMA on the settings." We've described the process so many times, it's starting to get old. [bold]Being in PIO instead of DMA slows your recording process drastically. Fix it.[/bold] Search DMA here on AD and you'll find the instructions over and over. I thought we covered that early on and you took care of it.

4. mdinap

mdinap Member

Brobear - i found out it is total 4.16GB's. And I do not know how to find out if it is DVD9 or DVD5? Let me know what you think about this?

5. seadale

seadale Regular member

i'm just telling you that both ide controllers are in dma mode but in the box i cannot change it says current transfer pio, this is in device zero, is devise zero an actually device? tnx

6. brobear

brobear Guest

seadale

7. seadale

seadale Regular member

did what you said, disabled the secondary, rebooted, nothing changed. device zero: current transfer mode pio. i see no way of changing that box. i've made everything i could to dma, but regaurdless current transfer mode says "pio". in the box i'm referring to what does your computer say, does it say "current transfer mode dma"?. i know your frustrated with me, & i appreciate the help.

8. themick07

themick07 Member

i am having the exact same problem with my burning process. i have tried everything that you have but still have the same problem.

one thing that i did do though, was i removed my burner and placed it into another pc, and for some reason i was able to burn in like 15 to 20 min, but when i put it back into my computer it took 45-to one hour. i dont know why this is, atleast i know nothing is wrong with my burner.

i have order new ide cables and a new power supply. i am hoping that they work and if they do i will let you know.

try your drive in a different computer, and see what happens

9. brobear

brobear Guest

Seadale, now to turn your DMA back on. With Device 0 and 1, with the selection DMA if availabe selected, go to DVD/CD-ROM Drives and expand that section. Uninstall the drives and reboot. On reboot the system reinstalls the drives. Reboot. When the system comes up, go into the Device Manager and see if the drives are now in DMA. They should be.

10. seadale

seadale Regular member

wahoo, finally success. The uninstall/reinstall did the trick! it now says dma mode. thanks a million Brobear for your time & patients.now its time to try to back-up a movie. I owe ya man. Points for you!!!

11. brobear

brobear Guest

You're welcome. Glad you got your settings straightened out. Let us know how the next movie goes.

12. mdinap

mdinap Member

Brobear - i am still having a problem with mine. The CPU usage is still high which i think is affecting the times. I answered back that the reservoir dogs dvd was 4.16GB's. I can't get the burn time back to 15-20 minutes. Anymore ideas?

13. brobear

brobear Guest

mdinap
    I was concentrating on Seadale's problem and you said your's was the same, so I didn't go into detail with you. There are many factors that effect speed and CPU usage. For instance, is the memory usage a direct result of the recording programs or a process running in the background? Did you use the Task Manager to check out the CPU usage while the program is running?

First of all we'll collect some data for comparison. What software programs are you using for the DVD recording? How long does it take to rip a DVD (with DVD Decrypter or the like, background decrypters like AnyDVD work on the fly)? How long does the encoding portion take? How long does the burn take? For best results, most of us suggest burning at 4X or less for video.

(Rip + Encode + Burn = Backup Recording) Those are the steps for a backup and I was wanting the separate times that comprise the total. As I said, using AnyDVD or the like would combine the rip and encode times so adjust accordingly.

What brand PC are you using and what is the model? What is the CPU, CPU speed, amount of RAM, hard drive size and amount of free space, front side bus speed, and which operating system are you using? Drive configuration and drive models used are also needed info.

Also, while you're at it, what are your DMA and PIO settings on your PC?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2005
  14. mdinap

mdinap Member

Brobear - i thank you very much for your help with this but i believe i found the problem. I noticed periodically, (something that i missed), that the printers drivers were not installed fully. The wizard was trying to install the remaining drivers and obviously getting nowhere. I uninstalled the printer and reinstalled the drivers correctly and the printer seems to be working fine. The times are back to 15 minutes. Its back to 26 seconds for the rip - 8 minutes for the encode - and 7 minutes for the burn. I dont know why i missed the wizard poping up but i guess that was the problem. Becuase now during a burn the CPU usage is at 32% during the encode and 24% during the burn. I am assuming that these CPU usage percentages are normal-good? Thank you again for you help and everyone on here.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Now you see why I mentioned processes running in the background. Glad you got the problem resolved and things are back to normal. You're welcome, though I don't think I did a lot in your case.