1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cant burn my burnt copies

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by clubsport, Apr 13, 2007.

1. clubsport

clubsport Guest

hey how are you, i am having some trouble. I can burn allmost any dvd using dvd shrink, the problem arrises when i try to burn one of my copies or someone else tries to burn my copies they cant it keeps coming up with errors on dvd shrink, decrypter and nero, allthough the copies i have burnt work fine in the pc and dvd players. Can anyone solve this mystery, im pulling my hair out and i dont have much now thanks

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

What brand of media are you using?

What errors are you getting while using decrypter?

have you tried cleaning them?

3. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

First, don't use shrink or decrypter to make a copy of a copy, they're best suited for ripping/decrypting (with a little help). I would suggest you stick with nero, using the "DVD Copy" option, this way should work every time unless.....

1)You used poor quality media to put your backup on
    2)Your burn speed is too fast
    3)The disc is damaged or dirty

So..
    -use good media at all times (Sony made in japan or Verbatim)
    -burn at 4X or 1/2 the rated speed of the media you use
    -make sure the disk is clean and doesn't have a bad scratch on it

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

John makes good points and Bowler was asking good questions. Either the source is faulty or your choice of software and method are off. If the problems persist, do a read scan of the source disc to see if it has bad sectors that could cause a problem. I've had those burn problems creep in when I thought I was doing everything right. It's an easy way to quickly see if the source is a likely cause.

[​IMG]

The scratch problem with this disc stopped the recording. Small bits of bad and damaged sectors sectors (red and yellow on the grid) can cause a DVD to not record, even though it is still good enough to play.

5. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

What's the error messages? CRC errors?

What's the brand name,model #, and current firmware version? Nero infotool will tell you.

Reripping backups:

You gotta make your backups with as few errors as possible. Every backup will have small errors like PIE/PIF. Just gotta keep them to a minumum. No sense in having backups that 6 months later,you can't re-rip because they are full of crc errors.

1) Quality Media. Make sure it's quality stuff like taiyo yuden,verbatim, or maxell hitachi.

2) Standard 4x-8x burn.Burn half the rated speed of your blank media. Example: 16x media,keep at 8x max. Quality media,you may be able to up that burn speed. Crap media,you'll have to slow it down.

3)Keep the burn from reaching the outer edge of disc. Usually around 4360 mbs with quality media. Crap media,usually around 4300 mbs. You can set it up in dvd shrink:

Edit/Preferences/click on dvd-5/set to custom/enter 4360 mbs/OK. That size will stay the same until you decide to change it again.

4) No multi-tasking during the dvd backup process.

5) Keep harddrive/s defragged

6) No paper/sticker labels. Keep discs clean.

7) Burner quality. Keep the firmware up to date.The firmware controls the writing strategy. This instructs the burner how to properly burn that certain blank media that you are using.

8) Burn engine: There's variations between burn engines. Nero6 gives me better scans than dvd decrypter. ImgBurn is also a better burn engine than dvd decrypter.

9) If possible,depending on what dvd-rw drive you have-booktype the plus format to dvd-rom. This will fix most of those No disc errors.These are the dreaded No disc/Empty disc/wrong region/wrong format/or illegal disc messages when you insert a backup into a drive-stand alone player/pc drive/game console-and the drive doesn't recognize it. When slapping backups onto any dvd drive,some may prefer the plus,some the dash,some will play both,some won't play any.

There's also some crap drives out there,making very poor quality backups, HP!!!! Reripping backups from my HP 640C,impossible with it being a total pc of crap.

If you're not able to re-rip those older backups,and no longer have the originals,there's a couple settings in dvd decrypter that will give you a slim chance of ripping them.

Open up dvd decrypter/tools/settings:
    I/O tab- Tick the box in lower right corner for Ignore all read errors
    CSS tab- Tick Brute force/ok

Since the backup has no encryption and already down to size,try ripping with dvd decrypter after changing those 2 default settings.

Rip in Mode ISO read to harddrive,but it may take longer. If you can get it onto your hd,then you can fish out the mds files and burn with ImgBurn,which is set up very similar to dvd decrypter-being both programs were written by LightningUK.

I updated to the newer ImgBurn and looks like it now has a ripping feature,probably like dvd decrypter ISO mode?

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

saugmon
    With ImgBurn, are you talking about the Read feature where it will take a DVD and burn a full length ISO to the HDD (with AnyDVD running in the background). Descent took about 17 minutes for a rip. I just wanted to see what it would do. The ISO can be loaded in a virtual drive for Rebuilder. The files are there for any program to process. So, it's another way of getting a backup done. You don't hear too much about this method.

7. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I finally updated ImgBurn a few weeks ago and noticed the ripping feature. I haven't messed around with it yet. There hasn't been any worthwhile movies being released. I've also been busy house hunting,which is more of a nightmare, LOL.

I love ImgBurn for burning my DL backups,very sweet!!!

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I don't know if it will work with all releases or not. Descent had ArccOS and Puppetlock if I remember right. So, it's not light protection. With AnyDVD it is a good DL system and with a virtual drive and/or a program that processes ISO, you can do the whole job. For instance I ripped with AnyDVD + ImgBurn, opened in ImageDrive and opened the virtual drive in Rebuild, encoded with RB/CCE and auto burn with ImgBurn. That's a tight little system that works well. A person can add their favorite editing and transcoding/encoding ware and create their own system.

9. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

yep, i use that now instead of DVDD(to rip) for copying my backups, very sweet,
    IMGburn just keeps on getting better and better

10. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I just re-ripped one of my older flicks using ImgBurn only. Total 20 min process at a 4x burn,using SonyD21 media. Nero scored it at 97,so pretty decent.No major spiking. I didn't see any rip with brute force or ignore all read errors settings on it.

I will use it on future non compressed backups including DL's. Any encryption issues,I'll kick anydvd on.

It's got some extra features like-Benq drives,setting it up to use SolidBurn.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Looks like LUK ended up giving us a little more than the old Decrypter burner ware on this one. I don't think it's going to be replacing my Nero any time soon, but there are some things Nero can't do that I sometimes use ImgBurn for. I still seem to have better luck with DL burns with IB and for difficult copies of unencrypted DVDs it does better.