1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant burn Ridata DL media, get all sorts of errors!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by TopPolack, Jan 10, 2005.

1. TopPolack

TopPolack Member

hey guys i got a NEC DVD +/- RW ND 2500 drive with the and then i upgraded the firmware so now its a 2500A so it cant burn dvd + DL media. I got some ridata DL media and i was trying to burn something with both DVD decrypter and CloneDVD2. For Dvd decrypter, i get the following sets of errors:

I/O Error!
    ScsiStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check condition

CDF: BF 00 00 00 00 00 00 20 00 0C 00 00
    Interpretation: Send DVD Structure - DVD +R Double Layer Boundary Information

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 26 00 00 80 00 04
    Interpretation: Invalid Field in Parameter List

ANd then it also gives another set of errors after i click ok for the top one, i get same thing except at bottom is says:
    Interpretation: Cannot Format Medium - Unsupported Medium Write Speed

Whats this all about, can u guys help me plz thanks.

Now for CloneDVD2, i select files and hit write, and then it just ejects the DVD, without any error messages and program just closes.
    If anyone has any solutions, please help. Thanks in advance.

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

NEC DVD +/- RW ND 2500 drive with the....with the what??

its a 2500A so it cant burn dvd + DL media??? if it cant burn them why are your trying??
    by the sounds of it your drive isnt recongizing your discs. This is always a risk when trying to upgrade firmware to enable more features
    DVD-R: 8x CLV DVD-RW: 4x CLV
    DVD+R: 8x CLV DVD+RW: 4x CLV
    CD-R: 32x CLV CD-RW: 16x CLV
    thats the features of the 2500a according to http://www.nec.co.uk/DVDRW_ND2500.aspx
    no +RDL available
    the nd 2510 has dual layer enabled, dont know if a firmware upgrade from 2500a is available. You could try www.rpc1.org

3. TopPolack

TopPolack Member

ya thats the one then, i know that my dvd burner can burn dvd +r DL though. Becaause i run DVD Info Pro and it says i can burn DL media. Yeah, it was probabaly and upgrade to the 2510, sorry about that one

4. TopPolack

TopPolack Member

anybody??? come on guys, is the drive just picky with the media? i tried looking for different firmware but they all still gave me the same error.......anything would be helpful...thanks...

5. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

you do realise that say fro example, youv had 3 dl discs go belly up, for that price you could have burnt say 25 good quality ritek single layers???
    just because you have the firmware for dl, doesnt mean you drive will be able, your drive may be old with a weak laser or not focusing properly etc. For me i would burn single layer until i picked up a dedicated dl drive and use that. Or just stick to single layer as dl price is unlikely to come down before the next generation is released

6. TopPolack

TopPolack Member

the DL disks ive tested out are actually still good so i havent wasted any yet. It fails to start writing so i still got 5 good ones. I am thinking of getting a DL burner in the near future if there is no solution for this...thanks guys..

7. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Why would you bother burning DL media? They are expensive, they are not very compatable in most standalone DVD players, and the quality of good quality Single Layer media is very good, and much more compatibility in DVD players.

I have burnt just one DL disc, it only plays in 1 of my 3 players, the quality of the picture seems to be below that of the backups I have on Single Layer. So I tried it once, learned for myself that its not worth it. But Hey you don't have to listen to me, you can do whatever you want.

8. TopPolack

TopPolack Member

thats cool, thanks for ur opinions guys..

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You also realize you may have just ruined your drive by using hacked firmware! I highly recomend to anyone reading this thread DO NOT use hacked firmware! Use only the firmware supplied by the manufacturer of your drive.

You are not the first person and probably wont be the last to try this firmware, but I have seen nothing but trouble with that firmware that is supposed to make your Drive that was never designed to be a dual layer drive in the first place a DL drive. If you really want a DL burner then my recomendation is to buy one they are not thet expensive anyway.

If I were you I would go to the NEC website and get the Firmware that is for your drive and install that one right away before you really do some damage to that drive.

10. TopPolack

TopPolack Member

Well everything else is working fine, like when i burn single layer dvds the discs are just fine, i havent had one bad burn yet with the hacked firmware. but yea since the DL burning isnt working i guess its best to go back to orignal firmware.

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

There were many many problems with that hack so it's not surprising that you're having issues. I'd definitely recommend getting a true DL burner :)

12. TopPolack

TopPolack Member

yeah ill probably get one soon, the price of a dl burner doesnt cost that much anyways so its all good...

13. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

"i guess its best to go back to orignal firmware"
    sometimes yes, but i wouldnt give up on hacked firmware all together, just dont try ones that offer more laser intensive features like DL from a drive not meant to have it. Many firmware allow unlocked rip speeds up to 16x (most dvd burners are set at 2x) and the ability to have a region free drive

14. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

You are playing with fire when you use any [bold]Hacked Firmware[/bold], but if you have the money to buy a new drive if it dosent work then go ahead and give them a shot.

15. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

"You are playing with fire" is personal opinion. i dont know anyone with a failed drive that has [bold]followed the instructions[/bold]. My 3 burners are still ripping stong, and with the added benifit all the features bought by unlocking the firmware. Sure you can stuff up, but i dont really see how as long as you [bold]follow the instuctions[/bold]

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Weel my friend I work on computers for a living and I have seen a number of customers ruin there drives using Hacked Firmware. Consider yourself lucky you got good ones, but everyone is not that lucky and to tell someone to use anny Hacked Firmware is irresponsable. The manufacure's will not warrantee any drive with the hacked firmware on it for one, and you dont really know the person that created the firmware so how do you know they are not trying to ruin your drive on purpose? I would never reccomend using a hacked firmware to anyone. I to have used Hacked Firmware with success, but that dosent mean I would reccomend people to do it. The manufacturer is always the best source for your Firmware because you never really can be sure what you are getting with the Hacked Firmware.

Again of course this is just a personal opinion. Thats what this site is all about isn't it?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  17. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

its not irresponsible, its called offering choice. what someone does with the information is up to them. Hell, upgrading with manufacture firmware has just as much chance of stuffing drive if you dont follow instruction and get a bad/partial upload