1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't burn to a freshly erased DVD+RW

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by campden, Apr 30, 2005.

1. campden

campden Member

I have a Sony DVD+RW (1x-4x) that even though I format/erase using DVDINFOPRO and NERO 6.X, quick or full format, I can't burn files to.

Both programs show a fully blank disc using media info, but when I burn with Nero, it says there is not enough space. I also get a popup that the DVD contains data, if I choose "NO" to not overwrite the burn is aborted. Nero shows that there is 3.74MB used already on this recently formatted DVD+RW, any only 674 MB free.--This contradicts INFOTOOL that shows 0 Sessions and 0 tracks, 0 data.

It is almost as though even though I erased, there is still a chuck of the DVD that contains my previous data set that the burn program sees and fails the write attempt.

I'm not going to go broke over an unusable DVD, but am curious as to what would be causing it.

Thanks,

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

To put the long story short, I had come across a similar experience, and the erase function of Alcohol 120% finally saved the day. So maybe you can give it a try.

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Ummmm.......are you using a CD-R(W)?

4. campden

campden Member

No, not a CD. My error in the original message 3.74 GB (not MB).

5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

oh ok. That's odd, as I can use those programs to erase without any problems at all. But usually I don't even erase I just write right over the data and Nero erases the disc automatically.

6. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

I have a SONY DRU 710A DUAL burner and I've burned a lot of DVD+RW in the past flawlessly. I'm wondering though, why would you want to reformatted or erase the dvd+rw disc in prior to backing up? I simply put the dvd+rw disc in my burner and it automatically burn/re-write over to the disc easily.

7. baabaa

baabaa Active member

Download Dvd Decrypter and try a format through that........it may work.......

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

When I was testing the new versions of Clonedvd and Anydvd (ver 2800 and 5000) I was using a memorex DVD+RW made by Ritek. Those versions were of course not quite right and caused burn problems. After several bad burns I tried to format and erase the RW disc because it wouldn't auto erase. I tried Nero, DVDinfopro, decrypter and even tried to format it for INCD. Some of the programs said it was erased, others said it had data on it that needed erased. No matter what process I tried it didn't work. My guess was that the bad burn process from the corrupt Clonedvd/Anydvd process destroyed my RW disc. I ended up tossing it out and I am now using another RW dvd. I'm guessing your RW disc is done for.

Jerry

9. baabaa

baabaa Active member

It's wierd really to see lots of these issues, because if you just erase the references to the files on the disc, then all proggies should report it as empty even though the physical data remains there, and also by burning the disc completely also erases all traces of data........................

Makes you wonder sometimes, whether the initial burn was actually successful sometimes regarding the structure and directories written........

10. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

campden. hi, i have had the same prob several times when i have erased my +rw on the comp. the only way i could get around the prob was by reformating on my stand alone dvd recorder. so before you bin the disc, it might be worth a try, if you or a friend has a recorder. best of luck. geoff