1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CANT' BURN TO DVD+R OR CD-R'S ONLY DVD+RW

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mrjuan, Apr 27, 2005.

1. mrjuan

mrjuan Guest

PLEASE HELP!!!

for some strange reason, I just cannot burn to dvd+r's or cd-r's, always get errors. I'm about 95% sure that it's not my burner (philips dvd8601) I formatted my harddrive about two weeks ago, and before that, I never had this problem. and i have always used the same media (memorex) so i know it's not the media all of a sudden. i tried to burn a music cd with easy cd creator, and after it burned a few songs, I got one of those blue fatel exception screens, what's up with that?? I tried to burn a slideshow with dvd builder with a dvd+ r, and it failed, put a dvd+rw in right after that, and it burned with no problem. so can someone please give me a solution to this problem, I don't want to have to refomatt again, but if i can't find out the problem, i might have to.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

from what I've seen that burner sucks .. sorry man :) Do you happen to have a Dell?

Try installing a aspi layer.

3. mrjuan

mrjuan Guest

hey flip,
    can you explain to me what that is?

4. flip218

http://www.afterdawn.com/glossary/

My explanation ... it tell your drives what to do and what to do it with. My Dell originally came with a NEC1300 I had the same problem. I could burn to a DVDRW but not a DVDR. Installing an aspi layer fixed it for me.

You also might try updating your burners firmware.

Also, you never answered me ... Do you have a Dell?

5. mrjuan

mrjuan Guest

yes i have a dell, the burner is a philips dvd8601. how do i install this aspi?

6. flip218

7. mrjuan

mrjuan Guest

thanks flip,
    i think i will just have them send me out a new burner. do i have to send them my old one first?

8. flip218

No. The way they did it with me ... they send the new drive out w/ a prepaid return postage for the old drive.

9. mrjuan

mrjuan Guest

OK, THANKS,
    WHY THE NEC? IS IT FASTER?

10. flip218

No, it's still a dual layer 8x drive. Just a better drive.

11. mrjuan

mrjuan Guest

OK, THANKS, BY THE WAY, HOW FAST DID THEY GET IT TO YOU?

12. flip218

around 5 days. Dell only uses Airborne Express and UPS so it will be ground shipping.

also, turn off all caps. forum rules.

13. paddy65

paddy65 Member

Folks

I am having a real battle with Dell over this same DVD drive. It has stopped writing to CD eitehr RW or not. I have tried deinstalling etc. Is a replacement best? How do you get them to replace it? I spent over 70 minutes on their premium number tonight to be told that they would not replace the drive and I now had to phone for software support....I was pretty angry to say the least.

14. flip218

If you PC is still under warranty, they have to replace the drive. They will probably send out the same model, but under the warranty they have to at least replace it.