1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't burn to dvd+r using nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dma69, Nov 7, 2004.

1. dma69

dma69 Member

I have tried to burn movies and mp3 onto a dvd+r using nero. It works fine if I use a +RW but it says burn failed at 4x when I use a +r. Can some one please help me?

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

It sounds like you may have to do a complete uninstall/reinstall. Is this a trial or paid for version? How long have you had it? Sometimes over a period of times files can get corrupted, I have had to do this a couple of times with Nero in the last year and it cleared it right up. Be sure to use Nero's remove tool to make sure you completely uninstall it before re-installing.

Also, what is your burner? Is it compatible?

3. dma69

dma69 Member

my burner is a NEC CD/DVD+RW. If it weren't compatible would it still burn onto RW's. I am going to uninstall it and re-install it again but I did try that about a month ago and it never changed anything.

4. dma69

dma69 Member

I tried to uninstall and install again and still it fails. It is a bought version. Is there some setting that I have to change or do I have to format the disc?

5. dma69

dma69 Member

Does anyone know what this problem is. I have seen a few forums on it but no one seems to have an answer

6. devilhunt

devilhunt Active member

just a thought but it might be worth trying a different media as there could be some compatibility issues between your media and the writer, you could also consider updating the firmware for your writer and see if that helps

7. dma69

dma69 Member

I have tried several different programs and no luck. I had looked for updates but I couldn't find them. Any clue where to look?

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]my burner is a NEC CD/DVD+RW[/bold]

Are you saying your burner is only +RW compliant? If so, then that's your problem.

Download dvdinfopro(free), check your burner drive and see what it tells you.

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  9. dma69

dma69 Member

No it is not only rw compliant cause I have burnt info with roxio onto r's. I'm not sure if there is a setting that I have to change in Nero cause I have checked them. I have read through a pile of the forums and I'm not the only one having this problem and no one seems to have an answer so if there is somebody out there that can help that would be greatly appreciated. I am running out of ideas.

10. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Not to kick a man when he's down, but you're very short on details. All I know is that you have a NEX +R/+RW burner that burns rewritables but not +Rs.

What media are you using? Same brand and speed?
    What model # of your burner?
    What burning software are you using?

Some things you can try are:
    - Update the firmware of your drive (type in Google search your model # and word "firmware"), and update your burn software to the latest version.
    - If you have Nero Suite, do a diagnostic check using Nero Toolkit's InfoTool. It'll tell you lots of things including checking if your ASPI files are okay and if you have DMA enabled on your HD.
    - Try burning at a slower speed. Manually set it to 2.4X just to see if it'll at least burn.
    - Defrag your hard drive.

11. dma69

dma69 Member

I have tried about 5 different programs. I have tried 2 different brands of +r (Memorex & BenQ) I use memorex +rw. The burner is a NEC ND-2100AD. I was able to burn in Roxio onto +r's and when I put it through dvd decrypter it worked but it doesn't seem to work with nero even though I am using the same file and procedure with the r as the rw. I have looked for firmware updates and I have run a diognostic check as well as manually setting at 2.4. I have not done a disk defrag for a couple weeks but this problem has persisted for about a month so I have done one and then tried after.

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold] I have tried 2 different brands of +r (Memorex & BenQ) I use memorex +rw[/bold]

dma69,

Right there is a BIG problem, you're media SUCKS! not to mention inconsistant, they farm out to different manufacturers, ensuring only that every batch will probably be different from the next when you buy.

You've been reading threads on different forums and haven't seen anything about what crappy media you're using?

Since you can only burn +R,RW try these:

Ritek Ridata 4x +R, you can get 'em here in about 3 days w/free shipping for under .50 each:

http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/ritek-g04-dvd-r-dvde-blank-media-disc-discs.html

This is not VHS or CD recording. In DVD work media is not just a quality issue, it's the difference between a good working burn and the stuff you're going thru right now.

Even if it doesn't solve your problem, by using quality media(which doesn't mean expensive) you eliminate that as a problem when something goes wrong :>)

edit***-never burn over 4x, the faster the burn, the larger the chance for errors.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  13. dma69

dma69 Member

Thanks bigorange. I will try that out. Finally someone with some advice that makes sense.

14. bigorange

bigorange Active member

you're welcome, let me know what happens, if it doesn't solve the problem, we'll at least know it's not your media and go from there :>)