1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't burn to dvd+r

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by varanus87, Apr 25, 2005.

1. varanus87

varanus87 Member

Here are the specifics:

I am using a usb connection. It gets detected, and it says blank disc when i turn it on and put a disc in. I have been using many discs and programs. My computer is a Dell XP.
    All of the programs and discs haved worked before, so I am positive that It isn’t them that is the problem. I also know that the burner, discs, and programs work because I just recently burned movies using them at my friend’s house. For some reason, the burner suddenly stopped burning dvds and I made too many coasters. Therefore, I bought a pack of DVD+RWs. They work perfectly in my burner.
    However, I intended to use them as tests to see if the burner worked, and it still doesn’t burn DVD+Rs. DVD+Rs are the only thing that work in my xbox, and I have about 100 of them, so I need to know how to burn them. Copy protection is not the issue. I know this for two reasons.
    1. I have successfully burned about 150 movies, and now I cannot burn three in a row. What are the chances?
    2. two of the three movies I am trying to burn are from disc sets that I have successfully burned.

2. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I'd say you already figured out the problem: media. Get some good media. Taiyo Yuden is the best, but make sure they are real TY. Supermediastore.com, rima.com, meritline.com are all good reputable sites.

3. mrjuan

mrjuan Guest

hello, i read your post, and i thought i was reading mine. I am having the exact same problem. I have been burning dvd slideshows for the past couple of months, on this program (proshow gold) then all of a sudden last week, I kept getting disk error after disk error. so i decided to use a dvd+rw and it burned fine.i was using the same media that had been working fine for me before. so then I thought maybe it's the program, so i used roxio dvd builder to make a slideshow, and the same thing happened!! so them i burned an iso file to my harddrive,and tried to copy it with roxios disk copier, and got a buffer underrun everytime. something is crazy, and it'd driving me crazy!!! I Also have a dell 8400, my burner is a dvd8601. if you find out anything please let me know, and I will do the same.

Juan

4. Cupillac

Cupillac Member

DVD-R's are the only ones that work in my Xbox.
    Weird.

5. wajax

wajax Member

i may be pointing out something obvious here but .....

check and make sure that burner states that it will burn dvd+r ,some burners are dvd+r or dvd-r or dvd+/-r and i have seen some dvd-r burners that would burn the occasional +r disc ..

other than that - it could be media that is not compatabile with the burner and or firmware - try a firmware update first and se if that helps - from time to time manufacturers will ad firmware updates that include more media brands

6. varanus87

varanus87 Member

Will do MrJuan. Cupillac, I don't know about DVD-Rs or DVD-RWs, I just know that DVD+RWs do not work in my xbox. Squizzle: the dvds that do not work are the same that I have been using for a long time. They should work, and I do not understand why they don't. As you can see by the topic, the issue isn't my xbox playing DVD+RWs; the issue is not being able to burn dvds to DVD+R (which are cheaper and easier to get). That is why I want to find this out.

Thanks fo rthe replies; I hope I can get to the bottom of this!

7. varanus87

varanus87 Member

Adding a brand wouldn't really help, because I have used it before, so it must be (or have been) on the list. Before I bought the burner, I checked to see what it can burn, and it can burn anything (DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW).

Here's some more info about the burner and the disc. Hope this helps.

TOSHIBA CD/DVDW SD-R5372 TU30 (USB)
    Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Free Sectors: 2,295,104
    Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes
    Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
    Disc ID: MBIPG101-R04-01
    Book Type: DVD+R
    Part Version: 1
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 1
    Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
    Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
    Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
    Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

I have to agree with squizzle. Try some better, proven, high quality media. I have never heard of disc ID MBIPG101-R04-01. Cheap media, even out of the same cake box or wrapper tend to be inconsistant. Try a small box of some good stuff, maybe maxell, fuji, or verbatum (AZO dye).

9. varanus87

varanus87 Member

It's staples media. I tried sony before, but it still didn't work. THE BRAND ISN'T THE ISSUE; I KNOW THAT BY NOW. The issue is burning onto a DVD+R (doesn't matter what type, just a plain DVD+R) disc.

I have also tried maxell. No use...

10. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Try updating firmware. Try disableing the dvdrw in device manager then reboot. If windows doesn't reenable go back in and enable.

11. wajax

wajax Member

everyone here has offered good advice and loads of it - if none of this fixes the problem - i'd say you have a worn burner . and staples media is not a good brand to be using - it's throw away office stuff. glue some felt to one side of those disks and use them as coasters - at least you'll ge some good use out of them - lol

but seriously it sounds like a defective burner or one that is on it's way out - did you check the manufacturers web site to see if that media is supported - just because it worked a ton of times and lets say it's not supported - doesn't mean a thing - some brands - like staples get there media from whoever is the cheapest so - who knows what you'll get from one purchase to the next - only way to know is to use a disc detector .

12. varanus87

varanus87 Member

I looked for an update, none. I tried disabling the drive, didnt work.

13. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Just so you know, the name on the DVDs you buy aren't necessarily who manufactured the disc. Take Memorex for example - they buy some of the cheapest media ever made and put their name on it. You might very well get 10 different manufacturers' media out of the same spindle, and most of their manufacturers aren't good quality at all.

And like Mort said, I've also never heard of MBIPG101-R04-01. They are probably junk.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  14. varanus87

varanus87 Member

But I can't be so unlucky to get all bad media, if what you said is true. Up until this point, I have been able to burn every dvd that I have laid my hands on.

15. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

We are all trying patiently to help you resolve your problem. You need to isolate the problem step by step and since poor quality media is the most common cause of playback issues and incompatability we need to start there. Until you get some good high quality proven media to try we can't rule it out. You've been very lucky if you were able to successfully burn any media you threw at it without playback problems. Sure, you may have software problem, or your burner may be on it's last leg but lets rule out the media for sure. Cheap and retail store brand name media are very incosistant. You might get 10 good backups and then 10 coasters. Media made by CMC Mag is good about that. We are only trying to help but you have to do your part to. We don't have a magic wand. Be patient and work with us.

Mort

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  16. varanus87

varanus87 Member

Well, it doesn't work with sony, so I'm not really dure what else to try.

17. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You said you tried Maxell. What is the media code of the Maxell you tried? Good grade A high quality medias are Verbatum datalifeplus (AZO dye), Taiyo Yuden (beware of fakes), and Fuji. Good budget media is branded Ritek Ridata.

18. varanus87

varanus87 Member

To tell you the truth, I really don't know. I threw out the label.

19. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

You can use this free proggy to find out the media code. http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/ Just load the disc, open the program, select the drive the disc is in from the drop down menu (in case you have more than one drive), then click identify. It will work on blank or burned discs.

20. willward

willward Member

I agree that it doesn't sound like bad media. I had the same problem with a Philips DVD recorder. Wouldn't record DVD+R but would DVD+RW--sometimes. Sent it back and they fixed it--for 3 days. Sent it back again and they fixed it for 6 months.
    I used it a lot and the 3rd time it broke, it was not under warrenty. I had used it a lot and felt I'd gotten my money's worth so I bought a new Sony. They're a lot cheaper now than 2 years ago.
    My advice is to buy a new external DVD burner, about $150 or so. It's probably much faster and will work much better.
    Don't know why DVD burners wear out, but mine sure did.