1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't connect to my own wifi

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by x2k1, Jan 11, 2008.

1. x2k1

x2k1 Member

Hi

im not sure if its windows or my laptop. my wifi is secured and its connected to it before but sometimes it stays automatic and i wait for hours until it connects. i have a wii and i can surf the web with ease but not on the laptop cause is not connected. what to do?

thx in advance!

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

NOTE: IF YOUR INTERNET ADAPTER CAME WITH SOFTWARE UNINSTALL IT, IT'S USELESS AND ONLY TAKES UP RAM)

if you would like you can try this (no harm can be done!!!)
    go start
    run> and run "cmd"
    [​IMG]
    in this window type whats written below, without "", in order as shown

“Ipconfig /release” – this command releases the ip... back to your router/hub/internet connection

“Ipconfig /flushdns” - the ip cannot be renewed without this step(it dumps or "flushs" the dns resolver cache)

“Ipconfig /renew” – renews ip address

if it doesn't connect after this (and the commands were accepted without an error message)then your network is no longer set as default on your computer,

lets make sure you internet adapter is enabled :)

go start
    connect to
    show all connections
    if you internet connect looks like this
    [​IMG]
    or this
    [​IMG]
    then you need to right click and select "enable", if that doesn't work then SELECT "repair"

if you still here then digg out your WEP/WAP key or any other 64/128 bit code that you have your network encrypted under

now lets do the same as before
    go start
    connect to
    show all connections
    make sure wireless connect is enabled(right click on icon enable), it doesn't matter what the icon looks like as long as it is enabled
    now
    right click on you wireless connect and select "view available wireless networks"
    [​IMG]
    a window like this will now pop open
    [​IMG]
    click on your desired connection (you router)
    and select connect (not mine says disconnect but thats because i took this picture awhile back for something else, so just ignore it)

edit:typo

questions, comments, results:D!!!
    just post back
    -tripplite

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2008
  3. x2k1

x2k1 Member

very nice but now its connected again cause i waited but thanks ill try it the next time it happens

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

if you wonder to far the wifi point it discounts
    to reconnect:
    i do suggest that if your using the internet and it discounts frequently from your wifi point and you want to reconnect without all the hassle of re entering your wep key each time you follow this guide

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/597652
    its a batch creation guide, but the example batch program in this guide was created for issues just like the one your having:)
    the guide seems thick but its step by step and will only take 2-3
    minutes
    you will only have to type in one word (of your choice) and you will be reconnected instantly:p defiantly worth it