1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Convert Those Pesky DRM .wma files?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Hulkmania, Feb 6, 2005.

1. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

I followed the instruction that hilkamania left, but when i get to the WMP part I can't get it to open the imagedrive. how do i choose what drive to rip from? it'll automatically come up if i insert a real audio cd, but when i take it out it goes blank. please advise.

2. duckNrun

duckNrun Guest

iTunes solution: JHymm. It's free. It's open source. It's multiplatform. It works

3. bennywk

bennywk Member

I haven't actually tried, but it does sound like it would work. I used to burn those protected WMA on CD-RW (so that I can erase them later), and then convert them back to MP3. How silly is that! Anyway, cool, thank you for the tips!

4. duckNrun

duckNrun Guest

Actually I haven't used JHymm since I don't use iTunes. But seems very promising. It's an update of Hymm. Thought I'd clarify :eek:)

5. RoyalBoo

RoyalBoo Member

I think I got it (sadly).

As Hulkmania described, this procedure is based on “Convert Copy Protected WMA files to MP3, WAV, or Vorbis with this free tutorial,” But you don’t have to burn CDs. If you read its instruction carefully, you will find that “You must have a valid license to burn the copy protected WMA files to AudioCD to apply this tutorial.”

Which means you “can’t convert those pesky DRM .wma files?” without valid licenses with this procedure.

MNcordia & MNcordia, you are right, you can not convert or burn a wave format music CD without vaid license.

dredaz3 & {TKO}, most likely you did not make a wave format music CD image. If you made a data CD image, wmp10 would never recognize as a music CD image to rip. If you made a wave format music CD image, probably you did not mount the image. You can do so in Nero ImageDrive window.

6. gallagher

gallagher Regular member

Okay, guys, I have a ton of legitimate DRM WMA files. However, I can only play them on my computer and on my Rio player.

I have a program called Tunebite that plays the song and literally records what comes out of the audio card in my computer, but this sucks and takes too long, not to mention the beginning and sometimes end of a song will be cut off.

Does anyone know how to override the DRM copyprotect so that I can play my songs in my car or on a CD in my stereo system?

7. diabolos

diabolos Guest

NO. Have you ever thought about buying a car kit for your Mp3 player?

8. gallagher

gallagher Regular member

well, I don't have a cassette player in my car or I would do that. All I have is a CD player and no other inputs. So I need some way to override the DRM.

Terrible that I can go to the store and buy a CD and can then go home, rip it into any format I desire and all is fine.

I buy my music online, thus making them even more money since no manufacturing, shipping or anything else involved, and I get screwed over with the DRM.

No wonder P2P file sharing is still so big. They need to wake up to reality about why people continue to pirate music.

9. Kryptos99

Kryptos99 Member

Ok, here is the deal, i just signed up for Yahoo's unlimited downloads which all the songs are DRM .WMA and I have the Ipod Nano and Itunes, I want to put the songs i downloaded (legally) from Yahoo and put them in Itunes and burn cds. How can i do that? Nothing seems to work! Please advise!

10. diabolos

diabolos Guest

No, I ment a radio car kit! Have you ever seen an FM transmitter for portable devices? I recommend this one by Belkin. It has a digital tuner that can tune to any FM-radio frequency.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6211761&type=product&id=1069298385668

There are others that are analog thar have 4 preset positions. The analog ones are cheaper but I don't recommend them because of the 4 station limitation.

@ Kryptos99,
    iTunes can't play DRM-WMA files. Apple used its own type of DRM with iTunes Mp4 files. Windows Media Player 9 or 10 will do the job. Also, Musicmatch would be a good alternative to WMP-9.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2005
  11. Kryptos99

Kryptos99 Member

I tried using MusicMatch and WMP and Nero to burn the files from yahoo but nothing worked, everyone gave me an error that it was protected and I was unable to burn the file, I can see if itunes wont let me play the files, but at least let me burn cds, but it seems i cant even do that, so if there is a way, please let me know!

thanks!

12. gallagher

gallagher Regular member

I have the solution to convert DRM WMA files!

I have tried it and it works. I actually read an article on this site that told me how to do it.

Save your DRM file onto a CD as an AUDIO CD, not as a data CD or as a HighMat CD. When you save it as an audio CD, the DRM is erased!

I can now listen to my DRM WMA files in my car and convert them over.

13. jazzyc

jazzyc Member

--> Save your DRM file onto a CD as an AUDIO CD, not as a data CD or as a HighMat CD. When you save it as an audio CD, the DRM is erased!

doesn't work for me!!! It just keeps on telling me "DRM checking failed. Not enough burn licenses available."

HELP?

14. gallagher

gallagher Regular member

What type of file is it? AAC or WMA or what? And who did you buy the file thru? MSN Music, itunes, . . .

15. fcov

fcov Member

i know theres a program out called tunebite wich makes a copy of a protected song into mp3 without going thru all that hassle.

16. jazzyc

jazzyc Member

to gallagher: my files are WMA format. They are messages, each approx. 80-90 minutes long... :(

to fcov: doesn't tunebite record only when you play your files?

17. gallagher

gallagher Regular member

yeah, Tunebite sucks. I have it and you literally have to play thru every song you want to be recorded because the program records directly from the soundcard. This also causes you to lose some of the song at the beginning of each track because Tunebite doesn't start recording until it detects the soundcard being used and then a momemt lapses before it starts.

I'm not sure what to tell you as far as the wma files that you have. I bought all my DRM wma files through MSN Music and I can record them all to CD--they just won't play unless they are recorded in Audio format since this has to be converted to wav files. Then the DRM is automatically lost since wav files don't support DRM. Then I just recopy them back into whatever file format I want.

Whatever source you got your wma files from must restrict them from being copied to CD, which sucks.

18. nailedny

nailedny Guest

I downloaded a audiobook from NetLibrary. It is a protected wma. I wanted to put it on my ipod but itunes can't convert it. My MusicMatch 10 won't even play the audiobook. When I try it says I need to go to a previous version and renew my license. Whatever that means.? I have looked all over the internet for ways to convert. Mediamonkey was one I tried but nothing works. Has anyone figured this out?

19. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

it is advisable to give up looking for a way to DECRYPT an encrypted wma. c'mon guys, it's Micro$oft; you find a way to crack version 9, they come out with ver. 10 . best way is, if the file has "burn rights" (not all do, check your contract), to BURN as an audio CD, then re-rip to mp3 (no DRM). if you actually WANT a .wma, be sure to turn OFF the DRM option in WMP before ripping. i'm pretty sure WMP is the only player that burns .wma files (correct me if i'm wrong), and there is NO WAY AROUND the issue if you do NOT have rights to even play the file. if you DON'T have rights to BURN the file, just to play it, then the only option you have (other than choosing another digital media download service), is to copy it as it plays in WMP (or whatever). for this, you can use Audacity (audacity.sourceforge.net). this is a FREEWARE program which captures audio thru your "Audio In" port on your sound card. just loop from the "Speaker Out" to "Audio In", and press the Record button in Audacity. this is a universal way of capturing audio, which also works with iTunes .m4p files.
    oh, one more thing...

iTunes SUCKS, .wma SUCKS, paying for music files you can't use SUCKS, and...uh, well...never trust "The Man" to give you a straight deal, even when you're a PAYING customer. LONG LIVE FREE MUSIC! (and they said mp3's and CD's were about dead...hah!)

20. Rock4Ever

Rock4Ever Member

i have the nero 7 demo and i dont know how to make an audio compilation i know how to do everything else except that