1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Convert Those Pesky DRM .wma files?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Hulkmania, Feb 6, 2005.

1. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

in Nero 7, click Help > Contents. Click the "Search" tab, and type in "Creating an audio CD". this will walk you thru it.

2. Rock4Ever

Rock4Ever Member

I did that now it tells me that they are protected and cant be processed

3. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

sorry, man, didn't know you had protected wma's. Nero doesn't work with encrypted wmas. if you have "burn rights", burn them using WMP, then re-rip them without encryption.

4. Rock4Ever

Rock4Ever Member

how do i get burn rights

5. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

"burn rights" means that whoever you got the file(s) from, has allowed downloaders to burn the files to CD "a certain number of times". this number varies from site to site, but usually only occurs when you have PAYED to download the files (like, for instance, from Walmart's music downloads, for example). if you don't know if you have "burn rights", odds are you DON'T, unfortunately, but you can check with the site you got them from, in like a "Site Policies" section, or something. if NOT, then your only option is to "capture" the song as it plays using Audacity, or, if you can afford to pay abit more, Tunebite works QUITE proficiently, and even adds ID3 Tags to the files... you can "google" either program to find them online.

6. Rock4Ever

Rock4Ever Member

i got them from a cd, i was on vacation and our friends had lots of cds so i chose like 21 that i wanted and ripped them onto my dads laptop, not knowing that they would be encrypted and all that junk.

7. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

if you've got WinXP, the latest version of WMP (10) lets you burn your own files to an Audio CD, but does NOT retain ID3 Tags (i don't believe so anyways). go to Win Media Player's Help Menu, and in "Search", type "To burn your own CD". this should walk you thru it.

8. Rock4Ever

Rock4Ever Member

i tried that. i added the songs to my library, went to burn, selected the album, and it said that they were protected. i think i ripped them with wmp 6 or 7

9. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

WMP7 used an OLDER version of the codec, and i'm not sure how well that those files work with the NEWER WMA codecs. WMA9 is the latest, i do believe. are you running the latest wma codec, or still with the same? if you're still with WMA7 or whatever, you could try upgrading, if you've got v.9 already, that MAY be the problem. only M$ knows how their software REALLY works, and the latest WMA codex are REAAAAAALLY glitchier than they like to let on. sorry for your luck, dude.

10. Rock4Ever

Rock4Ever Member

so if i try burning them on my dads laptop they might work?

11. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

yeah, but since they're encrypted WMA files, just about the only program that burns them easily will be Window$ Media Player, and it DOESN'T burn track data... just an fyi

12. Rock4Ever

Rock4Ever Member

thats okay, i only use wmp to burn cds anyway.

13. Rock4Ever

Rock4Ever Member

okay they are encoded into the wma v8 audio codec, help please.

14. Rock4Ever

Rock4Ever Member

i figured it out, i have to burn a cd, but it doesnt matter, they are rw's i used nero burning rom and it worked.

Last edited: May 5, 2006
  15. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

sorry i didn't answer right away, i had to get some sleep. i'm glad you were able to figure it out, though :) just remember when you re-rip them as WMA files (if you choose wma) to turn OFF the "copy protect music" feature in the options. i personally prefer mp3's, but you need at least WMP10 to do that.
    anywayz, congrats!
    df

16. Rock4Ever

Rock4Ever Member

ya, i used nero burning rom and burnt them to a cdrw, then i ripped them with wmp10 into mp3, then erased the cd and started all over again. i hope this helps someone

17. daisygurl

daisygurl Member

Alright, I am going to do my best to stump you guys so I feel validated for being stumpted myself...

I have a bunch of wma DRM protected audio that I can't seem to get to work for me. They refuse to play in winamp, WM 10, WM 11 and just about every other app that I have tried. In WM 10 (the app I used to rip them initially -- they were ripped from my audio CD's that I have since sold) when I try to play the files, WM tries to request a new license from microsoft, and when I select "Download License" it comes back saying that the file has been downloaded 10 times already, thus it has reached the limit. This pisses me off because I didn't download the files from WM Music Center in the first place.

Anyway... I have tried tunebite and since it runs off of WM player, it obviously does not work. I have tried to burn the CD in WM and other apps (though I haven't tried Nero yet and I have the inclination that it worked for me in the past -- do you think it will work considering these circumstances?). I have had no success thus far. I will try Nero with these files, but I am reluctant to think that it will work. In addition, I have tried FreeMe which is a command prompt based program that strips the DRM from the file, but apparently it runs off of version 2 of DRM and I have version 1 on the files that I have been working on. I haven't tried FreeMe on any of the other files that I have DRM on because it is time consuming as you have to do one file at a time.

Essentially, I am out of ideas... I could try to use Nero to create a virtual compilation as described earlier in the thread, but I fear that it will not work either given the fact that WM player will not even play it. I have tried to locate the file on my computer with the licenses (My Music > My Licenses... or something like that), but due to a recent re-format of my computer, I have lost those files. Luckily, I saved all my music on an external, but unfortunately the license folder was not in with my music. So, life sucks! Any thoughts or ideas?

18. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

hey, daisygurl.
    the only reason i can think of why it said you reached your limit on licences, is if you're running a peer2peer file sharing program, and 9 other people downloaded the file(s) :).

anyways, to answer your problem, i need to briefly explain the DRM process. when you rip a song to .wma, the WMA Codec creates a "code" based upon your PC and the individual song. then, in order to play the song again, you must have that code (the licence), which contains info on which PC can play the selected song. the .wma file links to the licence, which designates the PC that can play it. each PC has it's own licence. having a WMA file without the licence is like having one-half of a note. the codec won't know how that you're allowed to play the file without the other half (the licence). so basically, your only option would be to re-rip from the CD(s).

as for Nero, it only burns wma's if you have the licence, so...

so until someone cracks the WMA 9 codec (which is about 2 seconds before M$ releases WMA 10), i'm afraid your files are nothing more than taking up space on your hard drive (although technically, according to $ony anyways, once the CD's are no longer yours you should "delete all mp3's thereof", lol :D ). sorry for your luck, man.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
  19. daisygurl

daisygurl Member

Well, I am not running a p2p file sharing program. These files were not downloaded via p2p and as for microsoft and the error it was giving me... well lets just say that DRM sucks and leave it at that. All the files that I have ripped have been ripped from genuine CD's that I forked out far too much money on, so as far as I'm concerned (and given the amount paid for the CD's), I own the ripped versions as much as I do the CD (though I didn't want to mess with the physical CD's anymore).

Your response was expected. I finally cleared the rest of the wma files off my computer and I have begun downloading the albums that I care about from allofmp3.com. I am officially through with wma. It has been nothing but a source of problems from the beginning. As far as I am concerned, mp3 is the best way to go. Thanks for your help though. It is appreciated.

20. darkflux

darkflux Regular member

yeah, no prob. i pretty much agree with your response, too. we the consumer pitch out too much of our hard earned money, and then after facing the hassles of actually being able to play our music successfully on our PC's and portable music device (SOUNDS easy, huh?), then the Record Labels come out with all new "encryptions" to keep OUR music off of OUR digital media devices. unless of course you throw even MORE money their way.
    well SCREW that! i personally use only mp3's for EVERY situation, and have devoted a good portion of my existence to aiding those with PC and or music problems, and just wish i had a way i could've helped you out, dude. if it was me, i'd just get on my fav. P2P prog and dL the missing songs (which i honestly don't do as often as i COULD).

allofmp3s.com seems to be a reputable (although debateably "illegal") company based in Russia, and i've had more than a few good comments come my way about them. i haven't had the opportunity to try them myself, as they won't take my only cred. card, but i trusted them enough to try it though :) so...
    peace

P.S., if anyone out there just CAN'T live without using WMA files, at least remember to turn OFF the Digital Rights Management feature. i choose to defy Micro$oft directly by going elsewhere for my happiness ;)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006