1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't copy LOTR: Two Towers

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by s_francis, Jan 16, 2004.

1. s_francis

s_francis Member

can any one help?
    ive tried using dvd shrink and decrypter, the movie is brand new, plays no worries, no scratches etc.
    Im trying to back it up but it keeps freezing.
    This is the first one ive had probs with, would it be because of length?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

s_francis,

Suggestions:

First - Reboot your PC, sometimes starting with a clean slate helps.

Second - Have you tried starting the DVD in your PC's player, after it begins playing - then open up DVDShrink. Many times it will then pick it up and you're good to fly -

(remember to close down your plyer when it becomes time to burn, give your PC's maximium resourses to your burner)

Also make sure you're running the lastest version of Shrink - ver. 3.1.2

Pete

Welcome to the Neighborhood :))

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi s_francis,
    Some of the keys to making good burns:

High quality, compatible media.Buy the good stuff, you can tell by the price and by reading about media throughout this forum.

Become a source disc inspector; examine and clean your movie disc, blow it off with canned air after wiping it across the tracks. It's the foundation of your process.

Use DVD burning programs that like to work well with each other: DVD Shrink and Nero, CloneDVD and AnyDVD, DVD Decrypter and Nero Recode 2. There are many more.

Be familiar with your programs, read the guides, there are lots of them to be found here at Afterdawn, just cruise for links. Practice and take notes.

No conflicting programs on your computer. Some don't play well with others. (Thanks Pete!)

A computer that has a nice, big, roomy hard drive, a processor with speed measured in gigas and not megas and all the RAM you can cram into it.

A good burner with the correct firmware installed, there is a forum here at Afterdawn that discusses issues and problems.

Buy a few high quality (expensive) R/W discs and experiment with your new programs. Take notes.

Spend time here at Afterdawn reading posts and using links to other forums and reading guides. Answer questions when you can.

When you have issues or problems, make detailed posts so we can figure out what you are doing and what you are doing it with.

Well thats all I can think of,
    Frank

4. catwomen

catwomen Member

Hello francis, I am suprised that you had problem with the second one, coz I could not get the first one. But I have a new method to do that. But I was able to get the two towers by using the decrypter and put the whole length of it on the hard drive, and then go to the shrink and do a compression of the video ts files, and it will compress it into one dvd+r. The reason I had to do that was that the shrink was failing in the middle of the movie, to much redundency problems, but now with all my 5+ movies, I just put the whole main movie on the HD, and then shrink it with the shrink and slap it on one dvd+r. I wonder how u got the first one?

5. s_francis

s_francis Member

catwoman
    Yeah thats how i ended up getting it to work
    The first one rippen no probs with shrink 3.0.5 so i dont know if somethings changed in the update. Out of about 60 movies thats the first one i couldnt get to work.
    Also has anyone got any ideas on how much is too much compression with dvd stripper? My tv's a 56'rear projection soi dont think i can go too high?

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

How much comression is too much ?

I have done 65% with nothing noticable - Ifyou can see it on your monitor you'll see it on the TV -

I have a 19" monitor and a 65" TV and so far I have compressed 2 DVD 5's on 1 disk and it started to look like a commericial VHS. I personally don't want to archive that one -

Ask others and most importantly, screen your finished backup.

Pete

7. rsb64113

rsb64113 Member

Personally I've found that large movies (6gig plus) have a hard time with one click solutions. Opinions vary on image quality and compression so Im not going to get into that. Although not a newbie option using DVD2SVCD creates beautiful backups of large movies. But it has it's drawbacks. 1-Can be difficult to setup. 2-Takes a long time (6-12 hours), because it resamples. Just something for you to think about later on down the line if you happen to run into a lot of large movies.

8. rsb64113

rsb64113 Member

Sorry for the double post...but one cause of freezes could be cheap media. Definitely spend the extra money and get at least Ritek G4s. That fixed a couple of movies that had skips and blocking in them.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

rsb64113,

I do many DVD's over 6GB. I get them done well with Shrink but love to tinker with alternate programs -

I have version 1.2.1 build 3

Can you recommend settings to me ??

Thanks much,
    "P"

10. rsb64113

rsb64113 Member

Heh...Im using an older build than you are..lol. As for settings I rarely change them. If you already are using DVD2DVD then I think you have the best of both worlds. The quality is outstanding but the time it takes to create the backup is lengthy. If you are running into any problems let me know.

11. Bodene

Bodene Regular member

Probably a dirty or damaged disc. It may look clean....but a microscopic speck can prevent it from being ripped. I've had to clean some discs 4 times, even tho they looked perfect to begin with.

I ripped the movie only (it's too big to do the entire disc) with dvd decrypter in IFO mode without any problems, and compressed it with DVD2One. Played perfectly.