1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Delete File

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Deadra, May 28, 2007.

1. Deadra

Deadra Member

Hi, I have a BIG problem, I cant delete a file that is on my comp...
    I have tried EVERYTHING, I cant drag it to that recycle bin, i cant move it, I cant do anything. When I right-click on it, the delete option isnt even there, but it says its a Jpeg, so if ANYONE Could help me I would greatly appreciate it, Thanks.

2. tocen

tocen Member

lol had the same thing happen to me, i still have them.
    a person helping you would also be helping me

3. pstamer

pstamer Guest

Hello guys. You might want to try tuneup utilities. It has many great functions. One of them is getting those pesky files that stick to your pc like flies on doodoo. You can actually google it and download a trial version of it. Hope this helps. Laters

4. Deadra

Deadra Member

Sigh, I tried the Shredder Utility and everything else it has to offer, but IT JUST WONT GO AWAY!!! When I tried to add it to the shredder it said "Invalid Name", so I have no idea what to do. So, is there ANY other program that can delete a file no matter what it is?
    If so PLEASE TELL ME, because I dont want this file on my comp anymore, it might be some kind of virus. Thanks....sigh

5. wickedzx5

wickedzx5 Member

does the folder that you are trying to remove contain just the files you want deleted? does it happen to have an .iso image file in it or some other type of image file in it that you may have mounted and forgot to unmount? the file/files you are trying to delete are probably still associated with some other program on your computer. make sure thats not the case. then again, i had this happen before and couldnt delete a certain folder for over a week. then one day after i restarted, i figured i would try to delete the folder again and it worked! weird...

6. Deadra

Deadra Member

Apparently it is a Jpeg image, but it is only 298 kb big, and when I right click it, all it says is, Preview(which when I do, there is no image), print, open with, and send to. There is no delete, or anything else. I have never had this happen before. I am lost.

7. Deadra

Deadra Member

And I cant move it into any other folder, or drag it into the recycle bin, its like its glued to my desktop.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

9. Deadra

Deadra Member

ah wow, when I right click the file, the "unlocker" option doesnt even appear. DAMN, wtf is up with this file. I'm not even sure it's a real Jpeg.

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try in safemode. also see if is in msconfig/startup

11. revengine

revengine Regular member

12. Deadra

Deadra Member

Ok, I tried opening Windows up in safemode, but since I'm a noob when it comes to PCs, I can't figure out how to delete the file in safemode because I can't find it. Any ideas would be great, thanks.

13. revengine

revengine Regular member

I just showed you one of the most simplest ways of deleting unwanted files;.

14. Deadra

Deadra Member

yes you did, but its like this file doesnt even exist, Windows doesnt acknowledge that is it there.

15. revengine

revengine Regular member

If you can still right click on the file then it's still there ; "Note the location". If you can't find and or locate this file then, don't worry about it.

16. Deadra

Deadra Member

But its on my desktop and I dont want it there, is there any way to remove it only from the desktop?

17. revengine

revengine Regular member

Full Path of File to Delete; C:\Documents and Settings\Deadra\Desktop\"Name of File" Start with a standard file kill, and check End Explorer Shell While Killing File, then click delete file. After deleting the file, go to your C: Hard Drive and delete the submit! file, empty waste basket then reboot. Good Luck, em

18. revengine

revengine Regular member

Waste Basket=Recycle Bin, lol

19. JVC

JVC Active member

Go here: http://www.gibinsoft.net/
    Scroll down, and find the file listed below, under "Old Version (Freeware)"

GiPo@MoveOnBoot 1.9.5 (English), EXE-setup (644 Kb)

I had a file once that I couldn't delete, no matter what I did. Someone told me about this app. I downloaded, installed, opened and did what it said. When I rebooted, the file was gone.
    Good luck!

20. Deadra

Deadra Member

Wow, I tried those two things that you guys just told me to do, and they didnt work. When I right click the file NO options come up that enable me to delete it, and when I try to delete it manualy, it says, "invalid file name".I even found it in safemode, and I can't delete it.