1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Delete File

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Deadra, May 28, 2007.

1. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try renaming the file extension to .old then see if can delete file.

2. ireland

ireland Active member

there is a support dll Malware rootkit or a virus that has locked that file on his desk-top so it can not be removed... i seen that be-4 but i can not remember how i was able to remove it on a friends computer.

3. ireland

ireland Active member

i think this is what i did...no guarantees

I believe this will work, give it a try.

First right click on the Task Bar at the bottom of the screen. When the menu comes up, click on Task Manager. Click on the tab that says Processes. Look for a ".exe" file that corresponds with the "file" you downloaded. Click on the ".exe" file just once to hilite it and then go to the bottom of the window and click on End Process, and then on Yes. This will stop it from running.

Now click on Start > Search > For Files or Folders > All Files and Folders
    type in the name of the file in the top box and let the computer do a complete search of your hard drive. When it is done, click on Edit at the top of the window and click on Select All
    Then click on File and click on Delete. It will ask you if you want to remove them. Click on Yes.

Click on Start > Run >
    type in regedit
    click once on the very top directory to hilite it.
    Hold down Ctrl + F; this will open a search window
    type in the name of the file and then click on Find Next
    when it finds an the file entry, right click on it and select Delete and yes. (Do this if it is a folder in the left hand pane or if it is an entry in the right hand pane)
    Hold down Ctrl + F again and repeat the process until you have cleaned your registry of all the items. This may be a very tedious process so hang in there.

Once you are completely done. Reboot your PC. This will reset the registry without all the crap.

4. revengine

revengine Regular member

5. Deadra

Deadra Member

That is Very good advice except that the file name is really long and it wont let me copy it or change it, and I can't tell if I make a mistake typing it. Also the file name is not what it said to be when I got it.

6. JVC

JVC Active member

What anti-virus do you use? If you're not using it, try AVG. You can get it here: http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2
    On the left of that page, is a link to AVG's free Anti-Rootkit. Try that too. If you have a rootkit on the computer, it will find and remove it.

AVG Anti-Virus is one of the best. I still had Norton, when I installed AVG. AVG found 8 virus' that Norton never saw.........

7. Deadra

Deadra Member

Ok, I have tried everything, i'm sick of this, I don't care if it sits on my desktop forever, i'm done.

8. revengine

revengine Regular member

lol, you can direct the horse to the water but you can't make him drink.

9. ZebUK

ZebUK Member

I had something like this.

First I wrote down the full path to the file on a piece of paper.

I booted up my PC with a Windows 98 bootdisk, navigated to the folder and deleted it through DOS. When Windows boots up something locks the file stopping you from deleting it.

Note that DOS uses the old 8.3 convention for filenames so "My Documents" will appear something like "MYDOCU~1" instead.

If the file is meaningless junk and you can't obtain some of the characters using the keyboard try finding a pattern that matches the first few characters of the filename. For example, if it starts with "hsyd" then try "dir hsyd*.*" and see if only that file shows up. If it does then use "del hsyd*.*" and it should go away.

Next boot into Windows and make sure the file has gone.

btw, if it's on your desktop the path may be something like this:

C:\DOCUME~1\user\DESKTOP

(user is the name you use to log onto the machine)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  10. Greiver

Greiver Member

Ok i just deleted these files i know what you talking bout they have no rename delete or properties option just preview edit and that doesnt work first of all your desktop is a folder what you need to do is.

1)goto ::: c:\documents and settings\username
    2)double click desktop folder will be at top.
    3)copy all the files you want to stay on your desktop to a safe place like my documents.
    4)delete desktop folder with those stupid jpg files with it.
    5)remake desktop folder and copy the files you had on your desktop back into it and boom they gone!

11. Deadra

Deadra Member

ok, I tried that but it says, "desktop is a Windows system folder and is needed to run properly. It cannot be deleted."

12. Deadra

Deadra Member

OH, THANK GOD, I have no idea what happened, but when I attempted to delete the windwos folder it must've deleted the jpeg cause it is gone. Thank you guys so much, finally that file is off my desktop. Thanks again. :)