1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant delete ShellExt_64.dll file

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by tfrank46, May 11, 2011.

1. tfrank46

tfrank46 Member

After uninstalling Lavasoft ad-aware program I still had ShellExt_64.dll remaining. I am told that having this file could cause problems. It seems to be impossible to delete this dll file any suggestions.

2. tech_slave

tech_slave Member

if i were u i would try running in safe mode and try to delete it,if it still wont work check the files name and see if it's running in the task manager and try to end it n re-try deleting it.
    i hope this works for u:))

3. tfrank46

tfrank46 Member

I tried both suggestions, it doesn't show up in task manager and I can't delete it in safe mode. Thanks for the suggestions but I'm still looking for a solution.

4. tfrank46

tfrank46 Member

I tried both suggestions, it doesn't show up in task manager and I can't delete it in safe mode. Thanks for the suggestions but I'm still looking for a solution.

5. tech_slave

tech_slave Member

can u post the full path of the file maybe i can think about a more specific solution for u.

6. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

sounds like a real authentic system file to me.. something to do with the actual operating system.. shell type dll's are usually for compatibility these days rather than a desktop environment.. but by it's name it sounds like you run a 64 bit os.. in which case my best guess is it allows 32 bit things to run. never heard of it so I guess you are running that windoze 7 shite?