1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't edit AVI file

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by gbc410, Sep 28, 2004.

1. gbc410

gbc410 Guest

I downloaded a AVI file and I tried to import it in Pinnacle 9.0 but could not bring it in. I tried with Vegas 5.0 and I can see the sound but not the video. I was hoping to edit avi file with any of these programs. Can only view file with Real Player. Can anyone help me with either Pinnacle 9.0 or Vegas 5.0 as how to view video and edit. Thanks George

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Hi gbc410,

Obviously the AVI is in an invalid file format for these programs. Try converting the file to another format... like MPEG2 and then editing it.

Have a look in the guides on how to convert an AVI to an MPEG. TMPGEnc can do it.

Adder.

3. gbc410

gbc410 Guest

THE FILE FORMAT IS DESCRIBED AS XVID MPEG-4. i USED A PROGRAM CALLED COLORFUL DVD CREATOR AND COVERTED IT TO MPEG-2 FORMAT HOWEVER IN THE CONVERSION PROCESS IT PRODUCED TWO FILES: _VID.MPG & _AUD.MPG. nOW DO i IMPORT THESE INTO pINACLE FOR EDITING? tHANKS

4. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Ooww...my ears are bleeding.

Looks like it has split up the audio and video into two files.

Pinnacle can import MPEG2 files, but I think only if they are in one piece (not split into video and audio files). So you'll need to find a conversion program that creates a single MPEG2 file.

Adder.

5. Treker

Treker Guest

Okey, just an idea...¿do you have a digital camera?Record it out to the camera and THEN import it again in digital form to studio. Maybe it can´t be done,if not sorry ,not an expert.

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Most folks who author DVDs want their mpeg demuxed. Nothing unusual about that. You should be able to browse for the video, import and install it in whatever video track your program has and then do the same with the audio, put it in the audio track. I have to check and see if Pinnacle can handle demuxed files.

EDIT:
    OK, after a quick google search this seems to be rather poor software, especially considering it is mainly for begining camcorder enthusiasts. NOT what I would choose for movie DLds. It sounds like it has a lot of problems doing even any of the things it was designed to do. No support for Xvid or Mpeg-4.

Consider TMPGEnc DVD Author 1.6 to create the DVD. A much better program with lots of support and a history of success.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    dual Xeon 3.06, 2 WD 76Gb Raptors, raid 0, Maxtor 250, 2Gb RAM, 2 monitors, GSXR1000, 88 Mazda truck
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2004