1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant erase/format a DVD+RW

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mrlewp, Sep 11, 2004.

1. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

I right-click on DVD+RW drive, and at first will see option to "erase" this disc. I select same, and error message appears, saying something about another program attempting to record using this drive or something like that. I unchecked Windows Media player as default DVD player, rebooted. I get same results. One chance at "erase" on right-click menu, error, than the option never appears again on menu. Tried "Erase" button in "Record-Now" program, and get same error message. Any ideas on this?

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Hopefully you didn't f*** up your drive. I accidently did that with a CDRW on my TDK drive ... now that drive doesn't detect any cd's.

Can your drive still detect dvd's? And burn dvd's?

3. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

Just checked and drive played a DVD just fine. I tried to burn a DVD mpeg2 movie composed of series of jpgs and .mov files, along with many transition effects. It would not play in 4 different DVD players. If the write speed displays 16X, isnt it ok to lower that if you like?...(assuming that program detects the max. write speed for drive as 16X.)

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

What drive do you have? And I don't think your burning at 16x.

5. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

"You are correct Sir" (best Ed McMahon voice) I am not writing DVDs at 16X fer sher! Using HPs 300c. I have burned numerous DVDs from .vob (etc) files, and video discs - mpeg1 and 2.
    I'm wondering if I should have created the movie file on hard drive first as single operation. Then reopened it for the burn process? (using Showbiz for mpeg movies, and InterVideos DVDCopy for .vob files to DVD)

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Do you have a packet writing program installed(Nero IN CD or RecordNow DLA)?? These sometimes try to take control of the drive and give the error you have.

Jerry

7. mrlewp

mrlewp Member

I just realized that my last response was blended with another current problem I'm having, and that is burning DVD mpeg2 movies. I swerved into that unknowingly.
    Returning to "Erasing" a DVD-RW. Record Now is a program I have and use occasionally.(DLA-?)
    Part of error message had to do with another program and recording! So how would I clear that up if that in fact is the snag?

8. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Well with IN CD which is a part of the Nero Ultra package it is best to un-install it. DLA is RecordNow's version of the same type program. They let you use recordable media as another small storage drive. I don't remember if it could be just disabled or if it needed removed too. These packet writing programs usually start on boot up and want first access to whichever drive it is being used with. Thats why you sometimes get the error message that another program is using the drive.

Jerry