1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cant find I.P adress on computer

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by bribreeza, Mar 16, 2005.

1. bribreeza

bribreeza Member

i have recently just built a new computer, and i need to find the I.P adress, i have looked in network connections, by i cannot find it, do i have to be connected to the internet 1st to get one?

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

It depends if u want to know your Internal IP address or External IP address.

If you click Start -> Run

Type command (98/me) or cmd (2000/xp)

from the command prompt, type IPCONFIG /ALL

This will give both your internal IP and external (if connected to the internet)

CJC

3. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

an IP address is allocated to you by your ISP ! Once you have made the connection , you can Right click the icon in your tray and select STATUS -- then the Support Tab !; where you will see the Ip address you have been allocated.

4. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

Jeanc1 --> that is a service that your ISP installs on your machine (well, you do) if you do this manually or by other methods you wont have this...

my NTL is just connected as if i am on a LAN (local area network)

5. 50420

50420 Member

hi bribreeza
    you do need to be connected to the internet on the new PC to have a public IP address.( a private ip address begining with 169.**.**.** would not allow you to browse the net)
    who's your ISP by the way ? are you on dial up or broadband?
    if your after the IP address from network connections..if you right click on the connection your using, then left click on 'status' the status box will...or should have a 'support' tab... the IP address should be displayed here.
    personaly i'd go with cjc's advice and take a look from the command screen.. you can always copy and paste the results here if your after more advice