1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cant find my external HD

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lotusdog, Jun 24, 2007.

1. lotusdog

lotusdog Member

well just recently while switching my external HD to my G/F's work comp and to my laptop all of a sudden i cannot find the drive. i found the drive in the controlpanel/administrative tools/computermanagement/device manager however on my laptop it says that the drive is unreadable. when back on my home PC which is where it usually is and worked last i also now cannot find it. I installed some drivers from I-rocks of which i believe are the correct ones and again in the CntrlPan/AdminTools/...DevManager/universal serial bus controllers/usb mass storage device: it says the device is working properly however i cannot find the contents in My Computer.

I used the update driver option in my device manager and installed the USB mass storage driver that my computer found to no avail.

any help would be great, thanks for your time :p

2. lotusdog

lotusdog Member

more FYI, i noticed last couple times i connected the power chord to EXT HD a spark when connecting to outlet, upon todays research i think my HD is not "spinning". is the only way to test this to hook up a new power chord, my green light is on on the power chord box and the lights on the HD do light. My comp is a Dell, Pent III, i use win 2000 prof

3. lotusdog

lotusdog Member

woo hoo i figured out the prob, in my line of work it is often said and i have experienced that like 80% of problems are power related and after consulting http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=418013&seqNum=4

i found that such was the case. lo and behold upon opening my enclosure i discovered that my drive was disconnected from the enclosure (due to the moving from location to location with it i imagine). i promptly reconnected it and installed my drive and wala it is now working, i hope this helpds someone else