1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Find The Right Codec

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by ss2gohan, Dec 5, 2003.

1. ss2gohan

ss2gohan Guest

Ok. This is a cry to all of you video geeks and experts like myself out there. I need some help. I just downloaded Rurouni Kenshin episodes 1-4 off of SuprNova and I am having some problems. They are AVI DVD rips so, obviously, they are pretty large in file size. Well they were encoded using a WMV3 (Windows Media Video) VFP (Video For Windows) codec so I can't re-encode them my self until I get the proper codec. I have the correct WMV3 codec because I am using Windows Media Plyer Series 9. But I need a link to a free VFP codec. I tried On2 VP6 codec but you have to buy their USB dongle to use their codec. I am already using all of the codecs that were posted in the stickied topic in this forum and it still wont work. Here is the error I am getting in VirtualDub 1.5.10 whenever I try to open the file:

Couldn't loacate decompressor for format 'WMV3' (unknown)

VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable.

So that's my problem. I also get the same error whenever I try to open a DBZ OVA:

Couldn't loacate decompressor for format 'IV41' (Indeo Video 4.1)

VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable.

So if anyone can help me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Hi, If they are really Windows Media Video Files then they are Not AVI files...Windows Media Files Have either a .wmv Extention or an .asf extention and they are not in the AVI container format..There is a WMV9 VCM Codec that compress to WMV but useing the AVI container Format it is Freeware But it is not very widely used so I doubt that your files have been encoded useing this codec but if so you can download it here:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/8/a/98a6cb2d-6659-485e-b1f9-2c0d9bf6c328/wmv9VCMsetup.exe ...
    There is a Program that will convert real WMV files and AVI files to other WMV and AVI formats it is called "Stoik video converter" it is a very simple Program that can be downloaded here :
    http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/bws/bws_47/StoikVideoConverter10.zip
    You should See what GSpot says about your File, and if you can watch this File useing Media Player than you allready have the codecs installed and the "Stoik video converter" should be able to convert it to any AVI format you have codecs for....Cheers

3. ss2gohan

ss2gohan Guest

Well it is a .AVI file. And Microsoft was the first group to even use the .AVI extension from what i've heard. And they're Windows Media 9 Series codecs are MPEG-4 and encode to .AVI. But I solved the problem already. I found the codec I needed so I am now converting the episodes to XviD format. Thanks for the help anyways.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Glad you got it working however Minion is right -- if it is a a Windows media video then they are definitely WMV and not AVI (of course there is nothing stopping you from converting back to the venerable AVI format).

Windows2K/XP doesnt come with the Indeo codecs (hence the bulletin http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327979 )

The WM9 Series codecs are not just MPEG4 codecs. In fact, they give you a very primative MPEG4 codec, the DivX/XviD codecs are far superior. :)

For future reference: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/48608

5. freedy

freedy Member

Hi,

could you tell me where you'd found the codec? I need it too... :)

freedy

6. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Dec 8, 2003
  7. freedy

freedy Member

Hi,

they're already installed. But it doesn't work.

I'm using "ASF Tools" for re-encoding my .wmv-File. It starts, checks file header and tell me that the needed codec is not installed on my system.

GSpot found a codec. That's crazy...

Don't know what to do... :-(

freedy

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Maybe you Just need the Newest WMV9 Codecs?? Just a Thought...