1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem Can't Get AMR Videos To Play

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by dusktillafterdawn, Jan 16, 2017.

1. dusktillafterdawn

dusktillafterdawn Member

I have some old cell videos of family and friends from a pre-smartphone I had back around 2009. The video plays on Windows Media Player in Windows 7 but there is no audio. Using GSpot, I determined the audio codec was samr: AMR Narrowband. I have FFDShow installed, so I opened the Audio Decoder Configuration and under the codecs list I found AMR and changed it from disabled to libavcodec. However, that still did not do the trick.

Why did changing the setting in FFDShow not work? Do I need to download a separate samr: AMR Narrowband codec, and if so, where can I do that from a safe source?

Thanks everyone!

2. thebox

thebox Member

Maybe try using Handbrake. That usually gets the job done.

3. attar

attar Senior member

Try playback with vlc or mpc.

4. dusktillafterdawn

dusktillafterdawn Member

VLC did work, so thanks for that tip. However, I was wondering if there is any way of figuring out what makes this play in VLC and not Windows Media Player in Windows 7? I'd really like to get it working in WMP and if I can config or install something that would allow me to transfer that functionality from VLC to WMP it would be appreciated. Any thoughts?

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

install klite full (mpc) it will install the missing codecs into wmp.You will be given choice of x86 or x64 & make wmp or mpc your deafult on install.When it gives options for settings configuration,tick whatever & make sure you untick visit website (unticking stops browser from opening to klite home page,i just find that annoying).Once finished from this point on & you use mpc as default it will alert to updates which come often & instead of re install will give you option of upgrading,basically automating the install by following previous settings options

6. attar

attar Senior member

The only amr file I have is the audio in a .3gp video.
    If I tell it to 'Open with' (from a right click) and select WMP, it will play back.
    The other way is to convert the files to something else (a batch file from ffmpeg perhaps?).