1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get any picture or video??

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by horseysal, Jan 10, 2007.

1. horseysal

horseysal Member

Hello. I have a fairly new DVD player (it's a Toshiba SD-3950SU)...an older model that I only used once on another tv (so it's practically brand new out of the box). Anyways - it worked fine on my other tv. This tv...I hooked up the yellow (video), red & white wires...ALL correctly (OUT of the DVD & INTO the tv) & I get NO picture or sound...nothing!! My VCR works fine on this tv. I have no Aux slots on the back of the tv nor a remote with the tv to put on an aux channel if there even is one. Does that matter? What's wrong?I'm clueless & VERY frustrated!! All I have is a scrambled channel.

2. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

horseysal,

There are a number of things you can try.

I looked up your Toshiba, this is a progressive scan meaning you need a HD/HD ready TV to use the progressive scan mode. By what you have posted I would assume that your TV does not support it. You will have to reset it to normal if by chance it went to progressive scan. Look in your manual how to do this.

If that doesn't work.....Unhook your vcr and use the same connections, same channel, etc. If your vcr worked then so should your dvd player.

If you want both your dvd player and your vcr hooked up and if you have more than one set of inputs on your tv, you may have to flick a switch on the back (channel 3/channel 4) and/or on the front of some tvs there is a TV/video button, try pressing that and see if you get video and sound. Keep in mind also some cords are directional, meaning the arrows go out of your dvd player and into your TV.

As Afterdawn also is for backing up our digital content, is this an original (store bought dvd) or one backed up on a media disc? I'm assuming this is an original. If it's a backup it's a whole different ballgame.