1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant get computer to see xbox 360 dvd drive when flashing

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by kelson, Jan 14, 2008.

1. kelson

kelson Member

first off i bought a 360 elite with a benq vad6308 drive in it, im flashing with the new ixtreme v1.41, i have a old amd thunderbird on a Gigabyte 7VM400AM with sata support and VIA V-RAID installed, so far im following a tutorial and everything is going great, when i boot off the flash drive i got to the first step turn on the xbox 360 enter "dben blablablablabla" wutever ya type and its just not seeing the dvd drive it like times out and the status never changes. i dont see how dos is gonna pick up the dvd rom when its not powered on at system boot? is their something i have done wrong? can someone please shed light on the situation, also in the tutorial it says to disconnect all other drives, all my other drives hooked up on ide, and for some reason my computer wont boot without one of them plugged in, can i flash the firmware on 1 of my drives by accident or do i just ignore this.

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. JadeFox

JadeFox Member

You could be misreading the I/O Wrong, i did :O i saw a B when it was 8

anyway just type *:\>DosFlash it will give you a command list and will automatically find the I/O for you,

if that doesnt work try installing the drivers if you have bought a pci VIA card

4. manny2564

manny2564 Member

dude it might be that for some crazy reason msinfo tells you the location but then dosflash doesn't see it the same.I Know cause it happened to me and I spent 7 hours trying to flash my beng. Once you boot into you dos just type dosflash and hit enter. Dosflash it self will tell you where your drive is and from there you should be able to read, erase and write your hacked firmware.

5. andiamo71

andiamo71 Member

guys...I'm having the same problem. I followed the tutorial exactly, and am getting stuck when I get to dben. I'm using the NTFS for DOS, booting from my dvd drive, although I'm leaving my hard drive connected (as I think you're supposed to in order to use iPrep with this method. Anyway, I boot into NTFS for DOS, then into iPrep from there (took me a while to figure out that I had to use the 'autoexec.bat' command to get into iPrep), I follow the prompts, xbox 360 is off, press y for mtk flash, turn xbox360 on and wait for oxD1, turn off, wait two seconds, turn back on (at which point it should start to dump)....here's where I get stuck...when I turn it back on (360), it just does nothing...it stays at oxD1 and nothing happens or changes on the screen, no matter what I do. I've tried it several times, with the same result. Sometimes I don't get oxD1, it will stay at oxD0...but when I get oxD1, I can't seem to go any further. I am using a via 6421 sata card, with an older ECS motherboard. I reinstalled the cards drivers, then updated them to version 5.60, with the same results. I don't know what to do, and would appreciate any help. Should I use the DosFlash method instead? BTW...I'm using the NTFS for DOS method to boot because I can't get my pc to boot from a USB drive.

6. kainzow

kainzow Member

OK, I am a newbie... I know this. I have dl'd all the software. Windows XP does not see the DVD drive as a drive letter. However, to be able to us iPrep I need a drive letter. I bought a 6421 via (Raid) Sata PCI card. I have tried using port 0 and port 1. Neither work. For awhile my xbox was shutting off. I THINK that's because I wasn't doing anything with it. No controller attached and not playing anything. Now the xbox stays on. Windows does not see the drive. Is there something I need to do with this VIA card or what?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124022 is the card I bought. When I installed the card in windows it needed drivers. I used the drivers from the CD. Also, I got desperate and installed the software on to the PC for the card. I am lost and have spent a week trying to flash the drive and it's not working... Or maybe I'm too stupid... or both.

7. beirke

beirke Member

You can't flash in windows. you will need to use iprep. go to www.360mods.net and download textbooks tutorial and follow the exact steps and it will work.

8. andiamo71

andiamo71 Member

what do you mean windows doesnt see your dvd drive? are you talking about the xbox drive? or do you mean your OWN dvd drive? anyway...i was having lots of trouble with iprep at first. I couldnt use the USB method from the tutorials because my motherboard doesnt allow you to boot from usb. I wound up having to partition my c: drive to 30gb in order to get iprep to work the right way. To flash I used the NTFS for DOS method, which wasnt too difficult at all...just burn the NTFS disc and boot from it. The actual flashing took just a few seconds, but my 360 was apart for a week. Check out the NTFS for DOS method on the tutorial...make sure your the version tutorial you're looking at is the 2008 version. Good luck.

9. kainzow

kainzow Member

Yes, Windows does not see the xbox drive...

I will take a look at the tutorial.

10. andiamo71

andiamo71 Member

Windows is not supposed to see the xbox drive. Boot from CD into NTFS for DOS and follow the commands in the tutorial with your 360 connected to your raid card. The drive will be detected by NTFS for DOS. You wont even be using windows during flashing.