1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get fastforward to work on Phillips 642 when watching DivX

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by clowning, Dec 25, 2004.

1. clowning

clowning Member

Any suggestions?

I seem to be able to fastforward mpegs but not DivX.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i do not know.

but seeking looks for I frames. and divx/xvid put them like in every 300 frame interval or when scene change...

so it will not fast forward like your dvd does.

3. clowning

clowning Member

I can't even get it to go to the key frames in some of the files. I don't know why.

Some mpeg4 files fast-forward just fine, VCDs do as well. But for some, I just get that hand thing in the top corner.

I can't even select different times on the display as a means to fast-forward. What am I doing wrong?

I am using Virtual Dub to create my DivX files, and am saving them as DivX 4 Low motion.

Any suggestions?

4. sovero1

sovero1 Member

Hi,

I have the Philips DVP642 and the fast-forward/rewind speed is really slow (only 8x). Is there any way to hack it to forward faster?

BTW, just upgraded the firmware to ver1109 and the player seems to function smoother overall.

5. TNO821

TNO821 Member

I just successfully tested a fix for the fast-forwarding bug that was suggested by a Linux user (azara) over at VideoHelp.com:

Burn your disc using "ISO 9660 only". Do not use the "ISO9660 + Joliet" option, or the rewinding and fast-forwarding won't work.

This, ofcourse, does not address the slowness of rewinding/fast-forwarding, which is limited to 8x :(

For my test I used Nero 6.6 and used the following options on the "ISO" tab:
    Data mode: Mode 1
    File system: ISO 9660 only
    File name length (ISO): Max. of 11 = 8 + 3 chars (Level 1)
    Character set (ISO): ISO 9660 (standard ISO CD-ROM)
    I unmarked all four "relax restrictions" checkboxes.

It works great and resolves the only complaint I had with the DVP 642 other than not supporting DTS sound.

6. p200002

p200002 Member

I burned divx to CD-RW using ISO9660 + Joliet and max 31 characters. CD-RW plays fine. Length of charactes won't affect playback.

FFX8 is more than enough. If you really wanna faster forward, i.e. 48x, press display and enter hr:mm you want to skip to.