1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get file sharing SW to work

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by triviaace, Sep 6, 2007.

1. triviaace

triviaace Regular member

I've been using Kazaa gold for several years until recently when it refused to connect me to the server. I spoke to a tech at Kazaa gold who was quite helpful but couldn't get the software to work for me. I made sure that my firewall allowed Kazaa and I tried Soul Seek and that program goes into a not-responding mode and I can't seem to get the hang of Bit Torrent at all. I need all the help I can get.

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you've been using Kazaa for years? Its a wonder your computer hasn't self-imploaded already...its probably so full of spyware, adware, trojans, viruses, you name it. uninstall kazaa. download AVG free and run it (free antivirus app). download adaware and run it (free ad/spyware app). then check out the "guides" section here. I recommend bitcomet.

3. triviaace

triviaace Regular member

I've really never had a problem with Kazaa Gold until now. I use Norton Internet Security as my virus protect (you can't run more than one) so I'll pass on AVG. I will try the other file sharing program, Bit Comet. Thanks for the input.

4. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

yes, you can run more than run. i run 2 to 3 constantly.

5. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

I didn't think you could run more than one antivirus either. (Are you sure you can do that?) Always heard it created false positives. Even at just running 1 only, not sure Norton is the way to go there.
    Either way, Ad-aware, and Spybot S&D are both free, and each pick up things the other misses. If you don't like bit comet, and you are looking for something closer to Kazaa... try Frostwire.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  6. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

norton is *not* the way to go, that's for sure.

you can't have two antivirii with active protection running at once, but having two programs that scan at different times is just fine.

7. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

Running AVG Free. Suggest another that works well with it?

8. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@triviaace

NIS will not block spyware. You need to run like they said adaware or spybot both free programs.

@Auslander, I too didn't know you could run 2 antivirus programs concurrently? You back to school yet? Did well last year I'm sure.

9. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

yeah, i'm back. check the College Crap thread. :)

10. triviaace

triviaace Regular member

I know you cannot run 2 antivirus programs at the same time just as you can't run two firewalls together. I do run 3 spyware programs (Spybot, Spyware Blaster and Spy Sweeper). Kazaa Gold ran well after I reinstalled my OS, but shortly thereafter would not connect to their server. It worked well for me with very little virus and spyware interuption.

11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

what up AUS! long time no see.

YES, you can use more than ONE virus app. but if you are going to be stubborn and only use ONE, at least use a GOOD one. (for example, NOT norton!!) go with AVG or AVAST.

kazaa is notorious for installing all sorts of nasty unwanted malicious crap on computers, so beware...its just a matter of time. hope you backup your HD's...

12. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

norton is a memory hog but each to their own. hello djscoop.

13. djscoop

djscoop Active member

what up my canadian buddy! I see you are still moderating as usual, what else is new? man its crazy...been gone for a few months and there's tons of new people. is neph and geestar still around?

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

just the usual bs which is normal here. geestar is still around as i saw a post of his i think sometime this past month or so. neph might be gone permanently but his account it still active.

15. djscoop

djscoop Active member

thats cool. yeah, I guess some people just get burnt out after awhile. it does get annoying when most people here like you, myself, auslander, and many others just come here to help. but then you get a bunch of others that have an attitude and think that they know absolutely everything, and cause a lot of drama around here. but its good to be back, and reconnect with my aD homies!

16. triviaace

triviaace Regular member

I guess I was wrong that two anti virus programs can be run at the same time. However, all the sites I visited state that they will most likely slow down your computer and in order to remove one, you have to uninstall both and then reinstall the one you want. The AVG freeware anti virus software is actually AVG Anti Rootkits and provides no support. No where is it mentioned that free updates are provided. Finally, the September 2007 issue of Consumer Reorts lists Trend Micro as the best anti virus program with Check Point's ZoneAlarm a close second. Norton Anti Virus is down at the bottom while AVG is not mentioned at all. Any comments?

17. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

you mean "can't," right?

running any programs at any point will slow down your computer to some extent. but a general non-speediness overall would be caused by malware and crap programs, not protective software.

that would depend highly on the software involved. with norton, very much so, as norton is like AOL--a complete pain the ass.

the anti-rootkit is included as a trial in part of the download and is uninstalled whenever one chooses. the actual free antivirus is....an antivirus.

it's a [bold]free program[/bold] that i personally receive definition updates on [bold]daily[/bold]. i swear to you on the eyes of jesus h. christ.

what have we been telling you this whole time? -_-

avg is a free program used on an almost grassroots level. why would it be listed in Consumer Reports, a publication based on reviewing products one pays for?

*edit*
    either take our advice or don't. but please, for the sweet love of everything that is innocent and soft-fuzzy-bunny-like, stop rebuking the advice you will receive from pc enthusiasts on any intelligible forum on the internet.

after dealing with horny old men, retarded video game kiddies, and spiteful little bastards whom the world apparently owes everything they want, your ineffective-research inspired attitude helps put the icing on the cake that i have seen drive away so many more knowledgeable members than i to other places or even off internet forums in general, accelerating the downwards spiral of one of the biggest and formerly respected tech forums around.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  18. ahiah9

ahiah9 Regular member

19. Auslander

Auslander Senior member

[​IMG]
    brownie points with supernatural forces for ahiah9.

20. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

@Auslander

Have you developed your latest radiation badge? The reactor has caused you to lose your patience and, God forbid, your hair next? J/K LMAO