1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get Handbrake to recognise format

Discussion in 'Convert video to another format' started by boriscat, Jul 26, 2015.

1. boriscat

boriscat Member

I've been trying to convert AVI files for some time using Handbrake but it always converts them to a square format. I tick the box to say leave as is but it seems to not make any difference. Am I making a schoolboy error?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

handbrake only encodes to formats it's compatible with,square formats isn't one of them

3. boriscat

boriscat Member

Handbrake encodes to a square format. It does for me. I wish It didn't.

4. samiapple

samiapple Newbie

Handbrake has large limitation of its accept and output format. Free is the most expensive. Just got a commercial, closed-source video tool.

5. boriscat

boriscat Member

I've got other ones that work fine that are foos. It's just handbrake came highly recommended so I thought I'd find out what's going wrong.

6. Funnyday

Funnyday Member

Handbrake has large limitation of its accept and output format. +1
    But there're great video tool which is also free. Try this tool I'm using now. Video Converter
    Maybe helpful. But if you stick to HandBrake, you may find answers from Videohelp. Someone here advised me a few days ago.

7. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

I generally stick with avidemux .. it's a bit complicated.. other options are to have a very steep learning curve with ffmpeg from command line.. you have control.. but no pretties.. and the syntax is a nightmare..

Recent versions of handbrake seem to have broken too much of the functionality which existed in previous versions.. especially when it comes to subs (crucial for anime fans like me)