1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant' get my DVD to work

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Krissy, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Krissy

Krissy Guest

I have an external sony DVD that just won't work. I use DVD shrink and decrypter but when I try to burn there is nothing in the file. I have the A, C, D and E drive but no F that everyone seems to speak of. I need help from start to finish...PLEASE!!! Nero came with the sony but it freezes after about 3% of the disc. What am I doing wrong. I'm not computer stupid but I feel like it now!!!

2. brobear

brobear Guest

The drive assigned depends on the drive configuration of your PC. A: and B: are usually reserved for the floppy drive. If you have only one hard drive, that would normally be C: and subsequent drives would follow in order. As an example I have my main drive partitioned. That makes it read as C: and D:. My second HD reads as E:. My 2 optical drives are F: and G:. I have 2 virtual drives that are listed as H: and I:. You should be getting the picture. So usually an optical drive is one following C:, but it doesn't have to be F:.

When you install a drive, a PC will normally pick it up as plug and play when you reboot the system. Drivers for most drives are included in the Windows operating system. When in doubt you can check and troubleshoot optical drives in the Device Manager. Nero has infotools which should list the new drive and there is CD/DVD Speed and Drive Speed you might want to look at in the Nero Toolkit. Also, you should check the support site for the drive to see if there are any downloads for it. You're saying the drive doesn't work with Decrypter and Shrink. Does it work with any other software; such as playing DVDs? What model is your Sony DVD drive?

3. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

OK first lets see if that drive recognizes anything, can you play an original movie in the drive?

Have you checked to make sure your drive is running on a USB 2 channel? Go into your device manager and check out your USB controller's should say Enhanced controller. If it doesnt then you need to update the drivers (of course this is assuming you do have USB2 on your PC?) Could also see if there is an firmware update for your drive at sony website. The A,C,D, and E drive thing is fine don't worry about the F drive. A: should be your floppy C: your hard drive D: CD/DVD RoM drive, and E: hopefully is your external Burner...

Brobear was faster :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  4. brobear

brobear Guest

Hmmm... Looks like we agree again BB. You can call me "Quick Draw" or "El Kabong". You must remember, I have Karnak's jar. LOL

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member