1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant get my sound device to work, PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by nide, Sep 19, 2007.

1. nide

nide Member

Ok, i got my pc back from a shop,they were replacing a faulty power supply, got it back and the sound didnt work, i installed drivers such as WDM R176 and WDM A401, my sound is integrated on the motherboard. still didnt work, so my friend suggested buying a sound card and whacking it in there. so i bought a cheap sound card, a C-Media 8738 MX 5.1 PCI Sound Card. installed it into Bus thingy, turned it on, the PC said its found new hardware, so i whacked in the driver cd i got with the card, installed the drivers, restarted the computer, and expected to hear sounds when i logged in, my heart almost stopped when i heard nothing. Soooo i have NO idea wat the bloody hell is wrong and its really realluy really gay. ive tried uninstalling, installing drivers and stuff like that, it just doesnt fkn work!, and when i run DXDIAG, in the sound tab, there isnt a device listed with the driver or anything. ive tried the hardware installation wizard thingy, and it asks to specify a location to get the driver from, i specified the D:\ drive and it didnt find any drivers for it, WTF! so now im really angry and pissed off and would love it if someone please helps me!!!
    Patrick

2. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

goto the bios disable the onboard audio

3. nide

nide Member

i couldnt see anywhere in the bios which says onboard audio...could it be named under something else? or is there another solution? what would happen if i took out the cable that is plugged into the onboard audio, would that work?
    when i try n play something in WMP, it says this

'Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.'

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Start-Run and type sndvol32
    That's your volume control, if it won't open because it says 'no devices' then none of your sound adapters are installed. if it opens, look at which device it's selected. You may have it selected to put sound through your integrated sound rather than the sound card you bought, in which case change it to your C-Media 8738. If you go Options-properties in this window, click the drop down box then you'll see if there are any other sound adapters. If there are, that should be the name of the other sound adapter, so you know what to disable in device manager.

5. nide

nide Member

ok i ran sndvol32 and it says

'There are no active mixers available. To install mixer devices, go to control panel, click printers and other hardware, and then click add hardware.'

and i looked up in the device manager, the device comes up as CMI8738/C3DX PCI Audio Device, so that means its installed?

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Yep. I'm at a bit of a loss here, all I can assume is that if your power supply stopped working it might have damaged your PCI bus. Try taking that sound card back and buying a USB one instead.

7. nide

nide Member

heh, i dont know any shops that sell USB ones. and parents wont get anything from the net coz their fags ahah. mannnn theres got to be a solution to this.

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well, if your PCI bus is damaged, then the solution would be a new motherboard...

9. nide

nide Member

i mean, there has to be some simple solution to this, like some setting thats wrong or something stupid like that, there has to beeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

10. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Are you running Vista? If so, you need Vista drivers.

11. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

nide, what is the make & model# of the computer or motherboard?

12. nide

nide Member

nah im on xp sp2

13. nide

nide Member

its a gigaRAID something or other. is there a way to check in windows for sure wat it is?

14. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check your user guide or motherboard manual. if a brand name computer like dell, hp & ibm then the make & model# will be on the case. if a store/home built computer then the make & model# will be printed on the circuit board itself not on the chips.