1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't get new version of dvdinfopro

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by fishbulb, Jan 31, 2005.

1. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

anyone else having trouble updating to the new version of dvdinfopro (free version)? when i try to open it, it says a new version is available but when i try to download it from the site i still get the old version. and it won't let use it now. when i close the update box and the ad box, the main screen goes away too! i can't even use it.
    what's going on? i really like this program, especially checking for crc errors. is there another free program that lets u do that in case i cant get this one back?

2. dumbfuker

dumbfuker Member

fish,

I'm having the same problem. Have you figured out a way around this problem yet?

Thanks,

DF

3. Veblin

Veblin Active member

The author of this software wants you to buy it.
    They do make or have in the past made a free advertising supported version available.

One way to "twist your arm" and get you to buy the software, is to let the free version expire, and not post another free version for awhile.

In the past, the expired free versions, were replaced with new free versions after awhile. Those who waited could then use the program again. Those who couldn't wait gave up or paid and made the author very happy.

4. dumbfuker

dumbfuker Member

I understand. It's very useful software and I don't begrudge the author wanting some compensation. Thanks for explaining. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

Regards,

DF

5. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

the author has taken down the link to the free version on his site. i expect it will be back up sooner or later. he actually says that the free version expires from time to time. i read some things on cdfreaks.com about possible shadiness from this guy but hey, if the program works and i can get it for free, what the heck.
    in the meantime, i've been trying another free program similar to dvdinfo called cdcheck at http://www.elpros.si/CDCheck/ but it's not as easy to use. all i want is to put my burned dvd in and find out if it has crc errors or not. there's more to it than that w/ cdcheck. if anyone wants to try the program and figures it out let me know. i'm terrible at following instructions for this kind of stuff. especially on that site.

6. dumbfuker

dumbfuker Member

psst....fish.....for what it's worth, dvdinfopro appears to read your computer's system date to determine whether or not it is past the expiration date.

DF

7. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

df, if this is the case, what, if anything, could i do to get around this and download it again? aside from purchase of course.

8. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

i heard that u can check for errors w/ nero. anyone know about this? can i do that w/ the free version? and can i burn w/ other software and just check w/ nero? thanx.

9. dumbfuker

dumbfuker Member

Nero has a utility called CD-DVD Speed that scans for errors, but I'm not sure if it checks specifically for CRC errors. I also don't know if this utility is part of the free version that can be downloaded.

DF

10. fishbulb

fishbulb Regular member

dvdinfo has made the free version available again. it looks like after about 30 days or so it expires for about 3 days then is available again. says on the site that the current version expires on mar. 1st.