1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get rid of ACE Mega Codecs Pack

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by swissgard, Jan 30, 2005.

1. swissgard

swissgard Member

I mistakenly downloaded and installed ACE MCP some months ago. It conflicted with all kinds of programs. I tried to uninstall it and realized that it had infected all my computer, almost like a virus or worm. I uninstalled and reinstalled, deleted some codecs after researching postings on the web, ran a new Registry Editor and deleted hundreds of entries there.

Most everything began to work OK again except for my AVS Video Converter and, occasionally, Windows Media Player 10. What happens when these programs are launched is that an installation window (.msi) for ACE MCP begins coming up repeatedly. Fast as I shut it down, it's back up again until it, somehow, manages to freeze AVS and Win MP. I've searched with Windows, Google and they can't find any evidence of ACE MCP in my computer.

Wrote the AVS manufacturer and asked them for help. They said use the Windows Add/Remove Programs option. I've tried that so many times but, it never worked. I tried to remove 3ivx codec and that just put itself back in.

Got several commercial uninstallers and am using them on trial and they don't work either.

It's driving me nuts! Help! I'm running Win XP Home, with a collection of three HD's totaling 200Gb. I have a 1.6 Ghz Pentium 4 processor and 512 MB RAM running in an HP box.

Thanks.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

try ccleaner from ccleaner.com & do you know how to use regedit??

3. swissgard

swissgard Member

Yes, I know how to use regedit. Thanks for the other suggestion. I shoould have also mentioned that I searched for all the .msi files on my hdd. None were associated with ACE MCP.