1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Get Smash Bros. Brawl To work on HDD, Yet Newer Games Work Fine!

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by UltimaMan, Jul 4, 2012.

1. UltimaMan

UltimaMan Member

Please help! My Wii is 4.1E and I'm using the NTSC-U version of the game (I want to use it for Project M when it's fixed). It used to work before and now suddenly it doesn't. It will get past the strap menu, then I just get a white screen. Newer games like Skyward Sword work fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the latest versions of Neogamma, USB Loader GX and CFG Loader (the details for CFG: loader version: 70r35, ios248, with a ios56 d2x mload v1.0 as a base).

2. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

Is your HDD formatted to wbfs, if yes have you deleted or added games. WBFS is very poor, try reformatting the HDD to FAT32, if this is not possible take off and re add the game to the HDD (but this may cause another game to fail)

The game works fine for me on GX (latest 1191) running d2x final v8 Base 56

Have you changed your TV since it worked, if you have make sure that you are forcing the game region to suit your TV.

3. UltimaMan

UltimaMan Member

Thank you very much for your reply, I managed to solve the problem. It turns out that my setup was fine, I just had to reinstall the game under my new settings. I'll look into FAT32 instead of WBFS in future though. Thanks!

4. Vato

Vato Regular member

I wouldn't format it to FAT32. If you have fixed the problem why go into formating the HDD which might cause even more problems for you.
    I have my 2TB HDD as a WBFS and had never ever had any problems. The same thing happened when I was copying games from one HDD to another (It happens sometimes) and all I did was reinstall the game that was crapping itself and wahhlahh!! Problem fixed. No need to format or change anything. Plus I have been using this HDD for a long time more than 2 years now.
    I'd say if you have it working keep it like that and don't touch anything if you want to take a risk and format it to FAT32 and mayhaps get some issues later than go ahead.
    Unless you want to run VC and Wiiware games + GC games off your HDD then there is no need to format it to FAT32. Just my 2 cents.

5. kittymat

kittymat Regular member

WBFS, FAT32 or NTFS (NTFS and WBFS only for wii games not Homebrew, this is why FAT32 is still seen as the best)

There are loads of threads asking which is better, the main advantage of FAT32 or NTFS is that a PC or MAC can see them without the use of a third party program, so if you have hard drive corruption (or you add and remove games and the hard drive becomes fragmented) it is easy to recover and correct the issue.

Also with the latest cios's you can store the Wii nand on the HDD (if its FAT32) so you have unlimited saveing capabilities. It can be stored on the SD card however new games may not be able to create a new save and the HDD is the recommended place for it (ref. Davebaol).

There is a program that will convert WBFS to FAT32 without loosing any data, this solves the issue of removing all the games storing them and reloading them after conversion.