1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get sub-woofer to work with music

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by jerecho, Feb 22, 2011.

1. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

I have a Yamaha rx-v661 receiver that I have hooked up to a computer using an optical cable. All I have is 2 front speakers and a subwoofer hooked up. I have it set to 7 channel stereo but I can't get the sub to play. Is there something easy that I'm not doing?

2. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Does the optical receiver split the sub signal or does it require you run a separate cable to sound card & then set sound card to whatever speaker setup you have,i only have a shitty old kenwood that i connected a onboard shitty sound card to & set speaker config to headphone yet it has no prob splitting sub signal,it'll be somth'n real simple that you've missed take a break for a bit & come back to it then re read manual & check wiring & setup

ps: my wiring is also shitty just std speaker wire that was originally in my car from 20 years ago none of this fancy shmancy oxygen free crap or monster cabling that costs more than the stereo is worth (in my case it would cost more)..lmao..

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  3. jerecho

jerecho Regular member

I'm not sure how to tell if the receiver splits the signal or not. I also just tried to play a blu ray on my pc and it won't work the sub that way either. Then I hooked up a speaker to the surround speaker jack on the back of the receiver and that speaker won't play either. On the front of the receiver's display I can see all speaker icon's lit up so I would think it should be working. I will try to find the manual online and see if I can figure it out. Thanks for the responce.