1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cant install windows

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by tommyl, Feb 27, 2005.

1. tommyl

tommyl Guest

i have a ecs p4vmm2 mother board and a intel celeron processor which i put into a different case because i was building a nes computer in my other case i bought a new hard drive for it and it will not let me install eindows so i tryed another disc and it still would not let me install windows so i tryed a differetnt hard drive and still nothing all it soes is get to where it sys if you want to install and then it frezzes up and it reads the harddrive i tryed this on a coulple diffrent discs and harddrives

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

what windows are you using, does bios see the new hd & did you partition & format the drive??

3. tommyl

tommyl Guest

well the harddrive i brand new and im trying to install windows xp home edition i did format it and it justs keeps freezing when you try to install it but when i do it on another computer with the same harddrive it works fine

4. tommyl

tommyl Guest

ans yes it sees the harddrive

5. ddp

try reseating the ram, cards & cables. what ide cable are you using - 40 or 80 wire??

6. tommyl

tommyl Guest

i tryed all that and its a 80 pin ide cable

7. Mr_Taz_UK

Mr_Taz_UK Regular member

Have you tried replacing the RAM. sounds like you have a faulty card.

8. jfpolo

jfpolo Member

Check if your cd-rom driver is working fine, even if looks so, try with another cd-rom drive, could be a "reading problem", also make sure sure the bios don't have enabled the antivirus if is equiped with it.

9. tommyl

tommyl Guest

yes ive have two 256 ddr pc2700 in it right now i tryed taking one out and using the other one and same problem

10. tommyl

tommyl Guest

i also have two different drives that are hooked and i tryed unhooking one and using the other as i did with my memeory and no there isnt any antivirus installed

11. ddp

take a look at the xp cd to see if scratched or cracked as i ran into that problem with a cd that was cracked on the bottom side but didn't show thru the top side & the program would freeze at that point

12. tommyl

tommyl Guest

i did that and i tryed two differert discs but both disc worked fin with same drive but on different computer

13. tommyl

tommyl Guest

i dont know if maybe its my mobo

14. ddp

take a look at the motherboard at the cans(capacitors) to see if flat top or domed as they are supposed to be flat topped not domed. how big is the new hd? remove all cards from motherboard as you have onboard video than try loading windows

15. mrleftnut

mrleftnut Member

have you tried installing windows onto that harddrive with another computer and then installing the harddrive in the computer you were having trouble with to see if it works?

16. Dr.xp

Dr.xp Regular member

Hello guys tommy that look to me like an incopatibility issue.

try new ram!! and/or try with another cdrom in case it freezes during win installation but that usually hsppens do to ram incompatibility.

hope i help

17. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

tommyl

At what stage/phase does this freeze happen, [bold]exactly what is on the screen?[/bold]

Do you have a separate Video card or is it built into the MB?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2005
  18. tommyl

tommyl Guest

itc built on to the mother board it freezes at different point if you click really fast you will get further than you will if you click really slow it is really weird

19. tommyl

tommyl Guest

oh yeah i also checked the mother board and it all looks ok

20. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

What are you clicking on? You lost me on that one. When is your computer freezing? When it first starts, before you enter information, after Product Key?