1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't my pioneer 108 to detect my ritek dvd +r 8x?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by busta00, Sep 28, 2004.

1. busta00

busta00 Member

I got some 8x dvd+r ritek, ritek id#301,but it is not reading it at 8x but 4x. can anyone help me to get my pioneer 108 to detect it at 8x. One more newbie question which is better +r or -r? thanks

2. busta00

busta00 Member

i just use dvdinfopro to find out what kind of disk it is this is what i got:
    Media Information
    Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEK R03
    Media Product Revision Number 01h
    Format Capacity Not Formatted
    Free Blocks 405405696
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
    Book Type DVD+R
    Media Type DVD+R
    Manufacturer Rated Speed 8.0x 11080KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

[bold] i was wondering manufacturer rated speed is 8x and Available write descritor is clv 4x, does that mean it should be able to write at 8x? [/bold] HELP PLEASE!!!!

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

What software is telling you they can only be written at 4X?

Have you tried burning any of them?

4. busta00

busta00 Member

I use dvd decrypter and try to burn a movie, it only allow me to burn it at 4x. in the disc info it says the same thing support 4x. when i back up a movie with dvd xcopy it would finish writing about 12 min or so. I just want to know if bought these 8x ritek for nothing.. I also have another question, I have some ritek dvd-r 4x Id G04, can't get it to burn 8x with dvd decrypter, is there a software that i can make this work....PLEASE LET HELP ME ....THANKS!

5. Nephilim

Are you running the latest firmware for your drive?

6. busta00

busta00 Member

Yes i am running 1.14 firmware. i am burning everything prefectly at 4x +R/-R. But i got some ritek dvd+R 8x bulk packed. i should at less be able to write at 8x. the only funny thing is, it reads at 8-10x speed. Would you be able to tell me how i can burn my ritek -R 4x id G04 at 8x. keep hearing people able to. thanks

7. busta00

busta00 Member

anyone can HELP ME PLEASE! Is there a media brand that my burner will detect it +r 8x? or do i have to use -r 8x? can you someone help me with original question. thanks

8. Nephilim

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  9. forkndave

forkndave Member

There is a patched firmware available that is supposed to allow you to burn anything at up to 16X. Of course you probably won't get good results at that speed with all discs, if any. If you want to try it go to http://forum.rpc1.org/viewtopic.php?p=129219#129219 . Read the post and if you want to download it, click on "this one" at the end of the first line. It's a beta and only speeds up -R burning. Do this at your own risk. It will void your warranty, but if you're like me and can't find the receipt there isn't any warranty anyway. I have an A07 and NIL's hacked firmware for it works great. Good luck!

10. busta00

busta00 Member

thanks Nephilim and forkndave for the reply. i wii check with pioneer web site, also i wiil check out the NIL patch see if that is any good. question is for forkndave, is there any patches for +R's? do i have to patch, just to get my G04 4x to burn at 8x. thanks

11. forkndave

forkndave Member

I don't know of a +R patch as of yet. This patch is only a beta and I'm sure there will be one later on that handles the +R. I'm sure Nephilim would advise you against using this or any other patch, but I guess I like to live dangerously. The patch on my A07 works for + and -R, but I don't use +R very much. If you're interested, there is a review of the 108 using first Pioneer firmware and then patched firmware. it's at http://www.dvd-recordable.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Reviews&file=index&req=showcontent&id=87 .

12. Nephilim

Hee hee! That's because I keep all my receipts filed away where I can find them:p

Seriously though it's all in what a person wants to do. I'm very conservative in many of my views concerning the whole burning game but that's just me. Plus I've no need for burning past 4X so trying the hacks is a moot point for me anyway :)

There're plenty of folks who've had great results with the various hacked firmwares so I won't for a minute argue that they're a patently bad thing but if they screw things up I might be obligated to slip in a "I told you so" :p
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Forum rules! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

13. forkndave

forkndave Member

I'm pretty conservative in all things except burning speeds, I guess. I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore and I have to burn fast. Hell, I'd hate to croak right in the middle of a burn because I was using some slow speed and didn't get to finish. The only thing holding me back from a 108 is DL media prices. I guess 8X is probably fast enough, but 12X or 16X would be better. I probably wouldn't use the 16X much. What would really save time would be DL recording. Instead of taking 2-3 hours to get a good copy with Shrink I could rip and burn with decrypter. Until the media gets in the $2-$3 range I'll still be using hacked firmware to get faster burns.

14. Nephilim

Ha ha! Point taken!

The problem is that as the speeds go higher there's a diminishing return in time saved. The last significant difference was the 7 to 8 minutes saved when going from 4X to 8X whereas 8X to 12X saves all of two minutes at the expense of acurracy and compatibility. This because 12 or 16X isn't realized until the outer edge of the disc, precisely where errors are most likely to occur.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    Got Indie? http://cdbaby.com/

My Movies! http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rephaim

Forum rules! http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

15. forkndave

forkndave Member

You're right. The biggest change, for me anyhow, is from 4X to 6X. I usually limit my size to 4300 MB and it takes around 14 minutes to burn a disc at 4X. 6X is just a little over 10 minutes and 8X is a little over 8 minutes. My Pioneer (in 8X mode) starts at 6X and at about 600 MB it shifts to 8X. It seems like the average speed is about 7.6 or something like that. I burn all discs at 6X except for the ones that are MCC coded and those I burn at 8X. For some reason I get better Kprobe results with discs burned at 6X than I do at 4X. This is with 4X and 8X discs. I have no idea why. Once in a while I get a disc that the burner refuses to burn at 6X and I have to use 4X. That's very seldom, though.

16. Nephilim

17. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

Correct me if I am wrong. As I recall the old version of Decripter do not allow user to set the speed until version 3.5.1.0 and the old version released when the fastest burn speed is 4X.

busta00, check your Decripter version (the version 3.5.1.0 is available to down load on this site).
    My 108 write 6X-8X speed on Prodisc -/+ 8X no problemo (I am using Decripter 3.5.1.0)

==============================================
    PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 1.10 (ATA)<===========
    Current Profile: DVD+R <======================

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Free Sectors: 2,295,104
    Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes
    Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)
    Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x <==========

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
    Disc ID: PRODISC-R03-03 <=====================
    Book Type: DVD+R <============================
    Part Version: 1
    Disc Size: 120mm

==============================================
    PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-108 1.10 (ATA) <==========
    Current Profile: DVD-R <======================

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Free Sectors: 2,298,496
    Free Space: 4,707,319,808 bytes
    Free Time: 510:48:46 (MM:SS:FF)
    Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 6x, 8x <==========

Pre-recorded Information:
    Manufacturer ID: ProdiscF01

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
    Book Type: DVD-R <============================

18. busta00

busta00 Member

WOW, thanks for all the reply, rayboy my Decrypter is up to date 3.5.1.0, but i think it's just the media is not compatible or maybe i am wrong. Suck! to buy 8x and have to write at 4x....

19. busta00

busta00 Member

thanks nephilim for the link it was helpful, for +R ritek is not on the list at 8x, THATS REALLY SUCK!