1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't play Call of Duty 4!!!

Discussion in 'Windows - Games' started by blazen92, Nov 16, 2007.

1. blazen92

blazen92 Regular member

It says my driver does not support alpha shading every time i try to start it up. Is this a physical problem, or something that can be fixed wit a driver update.

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

tell me your processor?
    graphics card, brand, and version?
    ram?
    os?

not just a windows driver update but the update of the drivers that the company that made the drive releases as well,
    uninstall the program then update drivers then install the game again and see what happens

you may not have full video acceleration activated> right click on desktop> properties> settings> advanced settings option (or just advanced)> then select the troubleshoot tab and make sure that hardware acceleration is enabled to its full, even if it doesn't prompt you this requires a restart to work

if you need help updating drivers or have any other questions just post back
    -tripplite

3. bkiddy

bkiddy Member

I get the same error. I have a HP Pavilion A650y 3.2GHz P4 with 2GB Ram running Windows XP SP2 - Nvidia geforce fx5500. I'm not sure if this video card is supported for the game but I checked nvidia's website and the fx5500 is supported through direct x 9.0. I also installed the latest update that they offer - 163.75_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql but still no luck. It may be time to simply upgrade the video card. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4. bkiddy

bkiddy Member

I think I just answered my own question by checking back with the game requirements. Here are the minimums.

-=MINIMUM SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR CALL OF DUTY 4 MODERN WARFARE=-

SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS:

Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP/Vista (Windows 95/98/ME/2000 are unsupported)

Microsoft DirectX(R) 9.0c (included) (Windows Vista users will need to install the DirectX 9.0c updated included in the game disc)

HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS:

CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 2.4 GHz or AMD(R) Athlon(TM) 64 2800+ processor or any 1.8Ghz Dual Core Processor or better supported

RAM: 512MB RAM (768MB for Windows Vista)

VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA(R) Geforce(TM) 6600 or better or ATI(R) Radeon(R) 9800Pro or better

SOUND CARD: 100% DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

HDD SPACE: 8GB of free hard drive space

INTERNET: Broadband connection and service required for Multiplayer Connectivity

---------------------

Looks like I will need to buy a new video card. If anyone has had any good experiences with a particular nvidia card out there I would like to hear it. Thanks.