1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't play DVD anywhere please help

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by mariablf, Jan 26, 2012.

1. mariablf

mariablf Member

Hello,
    I know the question sound kind of easy but it isn't, There's this DVD I have and I can't play it anywhere, let me explain you.

A friend had her whole party recorded. Last night I went to her house and she showed me the video and we watched it on her dvd player. Then I asked her if we could play it in her mother's laptop, and when we tried it the computer didn't recognized it, we thought this happened because the laptop was old, so I borrow the dvd to see if I could play it in my laptop. To my surprise, I couldn't, according to my laptop the dvd is blank, but when I try to put anything on it a message appears saying that I must insert a disc. I also try playing another dvd I had in hand and it worked, just to make sure my dvd drive wasn't broken. Then I tried to play it in all the dvd players in my house, I also tried to play it in my PS2 and my Wii but nothing worked, in all of them appeared the message no disc found. The thing is that I really want to see it on my computer so that I can make a screen capture to some "scenes" I liked, but it just won't play anywhere, and I wonder why it DID play in my friend's house??

2. attar

attar Senior member

The disk was 'recorded'? - was it finalized in the recorder?

3. mariablf

mariablf Member

What do you mean exactly? My friend hired some guy to record her party and the he transferred the video to a dvd

4. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

during the process of making(burning) a dvd you should finalize the disc to close the disc.

can she rip the dvd to an avi file???.

is there certain region coding on the dvd???

5. mariablf

mariablf Member

Ok, I'm totally new here, what do you mean by ripping to an avi file?
    And I don't think there's a region coding on it
    thanks for the help :D

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Sorry you are confused. They are just trying to be helpful. The above are common errors. Finalizing tells players the disk is complete and ready to play. A very few computers and recorder/players will play a non finalized disk. You may need to put the disk back into the recorder to finalize the disk.