1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't play mp3 a second time

Discussion in 'Audio' started by dabud, Feb 18, 2008.

1. dabud

dabud Member

I am having a problem with the occaisional mp3 file.
    It addresses the inability to Play/Move/Copy/Rename/Delete a file, after I have played it once. I have to stress that this does not happen with all my mp3's, just some.

My OS is WinXP SP2 [with all subsequent updates to Jan 2008]
    I use WinAmp 522 and vlc 1.86. I do not use windows media player, ever. In fact I uninstall [??] it when ever I install windows.
    The problem I have is with mp3 files. [Not all of them, but it seems to be occuring more often]
    Problem Description: I will select an mp3 to play and it will play. [ONCE]
    After it has played I will select another to play and then try to drag the first mp3 to another folder.
    I then get an error msg that this file cannot be moved because it is in use.
    I cannot Move/Copy/Rename/Delete this file.
    I cannot find any evidence that it is in use by anything else.
    My mp3 files are stored in folders on a secondary hard drive.
    The file cannot be corrupted originally because I can play it the first time, so I think it must get corrupted [?] after the first play, but the how or why, I would like to know.
    Someone suggested the "Unlocker" program and I have tried it, but when I run it on a mp3 file that has given me trouble,
    it just states that there are no handles on this file and nothing can be done about this file, except delete.
    I do not always want to delete, because some of these files are precious to me.
    I would like to correct the problem and find out why it is happening.
    I hope someone has a suggestion for me. Thank you.

2. attar

attar Senior member

I wonder if VLC is not shutting down properly.
    When it happens, check Task Manager and select the processes or applications tab.

3. dabud

dabud Member

Thanks for the reply attar.
    I did some more checking while waiting for replies and found that good ole winxp was the problem.
    I have this machine setup for a single user [me]. I am admin and user, but somehow my file permissions got taken over and were inaccessible to me for some files. I had to go to 'security' tab in the properties of these files and take back permission to access these files. So far, so good. I can now play them again. As to how this happened, I don't know. would like someone to explain it. Maybe some more 'Googling' will turn up an answer.
    Thanks