1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't quite get games to work right!

Discussion in 'PS2' started by dani66613, Feb 8, 2003.

1. dani66613

dani66613 Member

I burn copies of the dvd format games and everything goes to the blank disc but it still doesn't work on my ps2...Why? I tried using nero, record now, and alcohol 120% but to no use. WHat all programs or tools do I need. I have a magic chip, a sony dvd-+rw burner and my ps2 is a version scph-30001r....Someone please help!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2003
  2. c7015

c7015 Regular member

that model could be 4 or 5/6 and if you are using the +format on the version 4 it is not going to work

3. dani66613

dani66613 Member

i was told to use dvd-r disc's and not the +r's. My burner does both. Should i still have problems even if the burned game goes to a dvd-r? I reall am eager to get this to work but in the same breath having trouble is really making this frustrating. I appreciate your help and since your the only one that responded to me hopefully you can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong and get it working.

4. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

You must have that sony +/- burner. If so then that is your problem. Dont you think sony would do something to there burner so it wouldnt play SONY ps2 games? I think they have because I know at least 10 people w/ that burner and only 1 of them can burn ps2 games on that burner.They all tried the very same methods I use w/ my pioneer DVR-105 and it wont burn.

5. dani66613

dani66613 Member

i read that alot of people have a sony dvd burner and they don't have problems with it, in fact I see people recommending to get a sony burner. So lets suppose that that isn't the problem....what else could it be?

6. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

I use recordnow max and either make an image or do a 1 to 1 copy. I use princo brand DVD-R. Works every time. It may be your media or possibly your chip. What chip was it again? You just said magic, which one?

7. dani66613

dani66613 Member

The burner is a DRU-500A which does +rw -rw +r and -r. I'm using Memorex DVD-R disc's and I tried using record now max, and record now, and nero. I'm not sure exactly what chip I have I know its a magic and I just got it done so probably the newest...whichever that might be. So are memorex dvd-r disc's bad or what could be the problem

8. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

I think its the media. Also are you sure your chip even works?

9. dani66613

dani66613 Member

i know it works cause i burned a blue back...cd format game and it played perfectly on the system. If it is the media what would be better ones to get and where?

10. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

go to rima.com and order the princo brand or ritek. If these dont work then there is a definate problem w/ the chip.

11. dani66613

dani66613 Member

what about a sony dvd+rw disc..?

12. j2huggar

j2huggar Regular member

Princo is bad media, don't even try it in your PS2. Riteks seem to work ok. Its probably the media you're using. You get what you pay for. Also with a ps2 your better off using a -r than -rw/+r/+rw.

13. jr_

jr_ Guest

If it's the media what you are probably going to have is DRE's (Disk Read Errors) or the game getting stuck. If nothing you burn even tries to work then I doubt if switching media is going to help.
    You need to just start eliminating posibilites.

Do DVD-R backups of movies work?
    Did you try the alternate W1 point ?

Some PS2's have problems booting DVD with the Magic chip. I think the W1 point may be 180 Deg out of phase with the W point. This is what China-Magic recommends if you have trouble booting DVD's

I have a Sony DRU-120a it works everytime with DVD+R's
    -R +R it really does not matter for newer PS2's. The ink is the same.
    I do agree about the Princo's although I have 1 PS2 that works fine with them, but it works with anybrand. The other 3 PS2's in my extended family have problems with Princo's on some games like GTA VC. Some DRE's but not failing to even start.

14. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Qoute j2huggar

"Princo is bad media, don't even try it in your PS2.....You get what you pay for"

I don't see how this is bad media. It has worked for ALL my backups, DVD-R and CD-R. Just because you might have had a bad experience doesn't mean everyone else will. Now don't get me wrong, there is some media that is not right for the job but they are for made for other types of backups. It really boils down to 2 things.

1. The PS2 itself (laser quality, use, etc) not the media solely.

2. If the correct process was done to backup the original.

I can't begin to tell you how many people using Nero or Easy CD Creator for PS2 *CD* backups believe they are the proper program for the job. When they are not. You need to read and write the game correctly in order for it to work properly. Even for DVD games it has been shown some programs do a better job than others.

15. jr_

jr_ Guest

The Media can make a difference.
    I have tested the same backups on 4 PS2s on several different brands of media.
    There is a clear pattern of some brands working better.
    I have 1 PS2 that works with brand P and every brand I tested.
    It's just the luck of the draw when you pick up your PS2 as to how well the laser assembly is calibrated.
    Unforturnatly you can't purchase DVD's based on which brand has the highest reflectivity the spec is 45% to 85% for all of them.
    If you have the equipment to actually measure the reflectivity you will find that the trend is the higher the price the better the reflectivity. (This is not an absolute and there are exceptions)

Again I stress though it's not a situation where brand XY does not work at all. If brand XY doesn't work on any backup changing media is probably a waste of time and money.

16. L-dubb

L-dubb Regular member

use record now max to burn ps2 games. Much more reliable than nero in my opinion. I copy on the fly and make images w/ it and it works every time!!

17. NoSolderG

NoSolderG Guest

didn't work, have u tried any EA games?

18. j2huggar

j2huggar Regular member

Comments about Princo:

Although I have never stuck a princo disc in my PS2, I have HEARD that the dyes they use are of a very poor standard. If the dye is poor you can get problems with you DVDs (movies skipping, stopping, or not working at all). This can also cause problems with your DVD player. If your laser is of poor alignment it won't read a DVD with a poor dye at all. If it can read a poor dye it has a harder time reading them. This can result in your drive having a shorter lifespan than it would if a better dye were used. Just some thoughts, don't knock me for them. ;)

Also I think you said you tested you chip by burning a CD back-up and trying it out. The chip functions in two different ways for PSX and PS2 games, so if your PSX games work, it doesn't mean that your PS2 games will work. My personal suggestion would be to go down to best buy and buy a verbatim DVD-R, burn yourself a copy with alcohol 120, and pop her in and see if it plays. If it doesn't, you probably have a bad install. If it does you're probably using media your PS2 doesn't like. I'm sure this is going to get some comments...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2003