1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't read any dvd/cd disc except game backups help

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by byakugan, Jan 22, 2005.

1. byakugan

byakugan Member

My xbox is a version 1.1 with homemade 29 point solder mod, with executer2 bios on the 2Mbit chip. It used to be able to read dvd/cd r/rw discs other than games just fine, but one day it just ceased to recognize anything BUT game discs. I use the external dvdrom method, where the yellow cable is still attached to the Thompson drive, but the IDE is connected to the toshiba 1612 dvdrom drive. All the game backups I stuff into the toshiba drive read just fine and have no problem playing off, but whenever I stuff anything else in be it avi discs mp3s or even plain retail music CD's, it just doesn't show anything under evox or XBox media center.

Please someone tell me what's wrong with this. I can go around this problem by sending all the media files onto the 80 G replacement HDD, but its a major hassle.

Thanks to all for reading this and replying.

2. lcarbutt

lcarbutt Regular member

Ok you probably already tried everything I am about to say but.
    -Check the cable between you xbox dvdrom and pc dvdrom
    -try a different dvd rom

more likely:
    Its quite strange that it only reads games, but CAN read, so I doubt it is the dvd rom, it could be that your BIOS has got corrupt, try buying a proper mod-chip (a cheap one will do)