1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't read dvd -r

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by rafram, Nov 11, 2004.

1. rafram

rafram Member

Hi,
    Just came back from Italy from 6 months of exhibition, and I burned all my material and movies on 16 DVD's -r.
    Now, back home (Israel) I tried to see the DVD's in my pc and there is no live sign, from any of these DVD's.
    I burned everything with a fire wire burner connected to pc, using Nero 6.
    i am now using winxp on amd computer. My DVD reader is Hitachi gd-7500.
    The DVD-r media are mostly Maxell (colored one) and Sony.
    I'll appreciate any help. 10x.

2. rafram

rafram Member

another question, reletad

are there dvd readers that can't read dvd -r or +r? is it like regions (crackable)?
    i thought the relevance of +r or -r is only about burners, not readers.

10x again

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi rafram, I did some checking on your drive. It reads -R only so if thats what you burned on then that should be OK. If you burned the movies and removed the region code then its hard to say. If the region codes were not removed when you burned the dvd's then you may need to change that on your Hitachi.
    As to your second question, yes there are readers and burners that are either +R or -R only. There are some that are dual format and read both. Very few can be cracked from single read mode to dual format read mode. Those that can need a cracked firmware upgrade. You can check this site to see if one is available for your drive.
    http://www.rpc1.com.

Jerry