1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't read Ray

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bohn25, Feb 4, 2005.

1. bohn25

bohn25 Member

I can't get my computer (Dell) to read the movie side (side A) of "Ray". It reads side B, which has the bonus features only. The movie side isn't being read. Has anyone come across this problem?

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

so the original doesnt play?

update firmware

update motherboard drivers

drive faulty

disc faulty

could be alot of things?

3. bohn25

bohn25 Member

The disc will play, but only the bonus side. The movie side the computer won't even recognize. I can read other discs and copy no problem before and after Ray. So could it be the disc?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  4. bohn25

bohn25 Member

Still not having any luck. Can someone help me out. Has anyone had this problem yet?

5. squizzle

squizzle Active member

My first guess would be a bad original. Try a different one.

6. Kooly

Kooly Member

The disc in the one dsc version is bad. Exchange it for the two disc version.

Kooly

7. Rookie577

Rookie577 Member

I have the One disc version of Ray and my PC (Gateway) does not read side one (Movie) at all. I can however read the second side (Bonus materials). The disc works fine in my DVD player (home not PC). Is this just an issue on the one disc version or is there something else that I can do? This is the first disc that I have encountered any issues on.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Are you all saying it won't read in your drive at all? Have you tried playing it threw your DVD playing software for a few minutes first?

9. squizzle

squizzle Active member

This seems to be a problem for a few people here. I got the 2-disc version and mine copied just fine.

10. Rookie577

Rookie577 Member

Yes I tried to play the disc with PowerDVD and it came back with a message of "Unsupported Format". This is Side A only. I can play the B side with no problems. DVD Decrypter said that the Drive was not ready when I had side A in the drive.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Will that disk play in a stand alone DVD player? This is very wierd? Ushually if a disk can't be recognized I would say the Disk is bad, but this is not the first post I have seen with this problem. I should be getting my copy today so I can try it out.

12. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I as well am having the same problem with Ray, I bought it today and along with the Season 1 of Fresh Prince of Bel Air are the only discs that my computer will not play at all. I use Power DVD, full version and it doesnt recognize that a DVD is in the Drive.

Even tried a few other DVD playback programs and no luck. Works just fine in any DVD player though.

13. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Have you all tried updating your firmware for your drives?

14. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I updated my firmware immediately and it didnt help. My first thought was some kind of new protection that makes it not play in a PC, therefore cannot be backed up, but that was just the thought I had, doesn't mean thats the case.

15. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

I have the two disk version, one for the movie and one for the extra's, currently encoding now in my PC with AnyDVD in the background and using Shrink for the encoding. I'll let you know what happens after the burn. But I can say that neither Windows media player nor Nero Showtime 2 will allow the movie to play. Windows will play the music from the DVD, but that’s it.

The error message reads:

"Sorry, the folder you have selected does not contain a valid DVD-Video, SCVD, or VCD structure. Please use the 'Media Files' function to browse and play back files from this folder."

[bold]Scratch everything I said above about the error message or that the movie would not play! AnyDVD running in the background was the culprit![/bold]

Once I finished my burn, I exited out of AnyDVD and poof, everything was fine. The original disk Ray plays in either my Burner or my DVD rom drive!

It burned well with both versions also on one DVD and it plays as well on both also.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
  16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Yes I to had the same problem, but I have the one disk version. I turned off AnyDVD and then it worked fine so I am with ScubaBud on this one. Do you have AnyDVD working in the background? If so shut off AnyDVD and then give it a try. This is kind of wierd that it dosen't even recognize the disk with AnyDVD running, but all I know is it wont even play while AnyDVD is running.. I just wish I would have read ScubaBuds post before I pulled all my hair out trying to figure this one out ;-)

17. Boofer

Boofer Member

Yes, I've read all the previous threads on backing up Ray. My problem is that nothing will even allow me to do an initial read of the DVD. DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, and AnyDVD are all latest vintage. The message I get is: "incompatible medium installed". Both sides of the double-sided DVD are viewable on my DVD player, but PowerDVD cannot play it and displays "a disc with an unsupported format in drive F:".

I've tried removing AnyDVD from the background, but that doesn't help.

18. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Boofer, forgive me for asking this but have you tried a DVD that you know worked before in your system, making sure it isn't a different issue now?

19. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

I read somewhere that the extended version of Ray would not play on some dvd players. That problem may interfere with the burn. Hasn't for me but other people seem to be having a problem.

20. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

I do not and never have had AnyDVD on my PC. So thats not it either. I tried many other new DVD's like The Grudge, The Forgotten, The Village, all work fine in the PC, Ray and Fresh prince of bel air, are not working at all. I did manage to play sound only on some program, I forget which one though. But unless its a huge future problem I'm not too worried about it anyways. I doubt I will watch fresh prince of bel air more then 2 times, so a backup is not necessary, and RAY sucks so its already listed on ebay. I was going to backup RAY before I even watched it because I thought it would be good, at least I didnt like it.