1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't remove Protector Suite QL 5.2 after Vista upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by carrlos27, Apr 8, 2007.

1. carrlos27

carrlos27 Member

I upgraded from Windows XP MCE to Windows Vista Home Premium on my Sony Vaio laptop. It has the finger print reader and the "MySafe" folder. Unfortunately the Protector Suite QL 5.2 does not work with Vista. Apparently I was suppose to remove it (choosing the option to NOT delete the data), then do the Vista upgrade, THEN install the Vista capable Protector Suite QL 5.6. But I didn't.

So now in order to upgrade to 5.6, I have to remove 5.2 but I can't. I keep getting a message that WiseCustomCalla.dll cannot be found (twice). Then if I continue, I finally I get the option to "Repair" or "Remove". Obviously I choose remove. Then I choose the option to leave Protector Suite Data and click "Next" where the program procedes to tell me that I need "IE version 5.0 and higher" to continue and then fails out.

I tried uninstalling the 5.2 in Safe Mode but I get a message that the Windows Installer is not available in Safe Mode.

How can I remove this program without doing a clean install???

2. ajayc

ajayc Member

Hi I am having the same problem with this and no audio..

did you have any joy sorting it?

regards

Aj

3. sraymond

sraymond Member

Same here... no joy in getting this fixed.

4. carrlos27

carrlos27 Member

If you have important data in your My Safe that you absolutely do NOT want to lose, you'll have to do the following:

1) Find the the file mysafe.fdp. Try looking in C:\Documents and Settings\[your name]\App Data\Protector Suite (the folder "App Data" is more than likely hidden so you'll have to enable viewing of hidden files and folders).

2) Copy mysafe.fdp to an external drive (along with everything else you do NOT want to lose).

3) Do a clean install of Windows Vista, not an upgrade (THIS WILL DELETE YOUR DATA SO MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP). This is necessary because you will not be able to uninstall the old Protector Suite 5.2.

4) After the clean install, download and install the Vista-compatible Protector Suite 5.6.

5) Copy your mysafe.fdp file to: C:\users\[your name]\AppData\Roaming\Protector Suite (you will probably have to enable Hidden Files and Folders again to see AppData and also, you may have to create the folder Protector Suite if it is not in Roaming).

6) Go to C:\Program Files\Protector Suite QL and find the file ms2fs.exe. It is a conversion utility that will allow you to convert the old My Safe to the new format. Double click it and it will find the mysafe.fdp file and ask you to enter you backup password (from version 5.2) before completing the conversion.

7) DONE! You should be GOLDEN!!!

I hope this helps someone out because unfortunately, I had to do it the hard way!!!!!! But I got EVERYTHING back!!!!!

5. ahecktman

ahecktman Member

But how can I remove the old version of Protector without doing a clean install of Vista? How do we get around the IE 5 required issue?

6. carrlos27

carrlos27 Member

I refer you to my point #3. You won't be able to uninstall. I would have done it if I could have. Just back up everything and do a clean install. Then follow the instructions that I gave. Trust me when I say that a clean install is less time-consuming and actually much better.

7. ahecktman

ahecktman Member

I hate to ask this, but is there alternative software I can use with my TouchChip fingerprint reader?

8. carrlos27

carrlos27 Member

Not that I know of. If you are using a Sony Vaio (I am), I don't think there is anything else. It is the only software available at the support website.

9. ajayc

ajayc Member

I sorted it, using a different method and works a treat..

download the sz3 protector suite from the xp downloads, run that, and it allows you to repair or uinstall the protector suite software..

once done, reboot and install the new version, works a treat!!

another problem though, audio works fine through laptop speakers, but headphone and mic sockets dont... anyone experience this?

Aj...

10. ahecktman

ahecktman Member

Here is the guidance I got after I contacted UPEK:

Hello Adam,

If you have migrated to Windows Vista, old PS QL does not work and you are unable to uninstall it or upgrade it to PS QL 5.6, please carefully follow these steps:

1. Download “Windows Installer CleanUp Utility” from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
    2. Install it using right-click and “Run as administrator”.
    3. Run Start -> All Programs -> Windows Install Cean Up.
    4. Select “(All Users) Protector Suite QL…” and click Remove.
    5. Apply PSQLUpg.reg (you can download this file from link below) or manually remove value “producttype” from key “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Protector Suite QL\1.0”
    6. Rename file "fusstub.dll" to "fusstub.1" (it is located in \Windows\System32). If using PS QL 5.4 you have to rename file "psqlpwd.dll" to "psqlpwd.1"...
    7. REBOOT
    8. Delete whole “Protector Suite QL” folder (located in \Program Files)
    9. Install PS QL 5.6
    10. REBOOT
    11. Run enrollment wizard and initialize device (most probably only enrollment to HDD will be possible)
    12. Logout and login again, to initialize MySafe -> FileSafe convertor.

Download link for psqlupg.reg:
    http://files.upek.com/GetFile.aspx?Key=9142I1B1BMHK973PB24YL01711MUXJQX

Please make sure, you reboot your machine after step 6 and 9!

11. carrlos27

carrlos27 Member

I wish they had told me that when I called them back in April!! But anyway, I hope you guys have success with either method. I am much happier with a clean install of Vista than the upgrade!

cheers!

12. ahecktman

ahecktman Member

Works BEAUTIFULYY!

13. ajayc

ajayc Member

Cool..

Does anyone have issues with audio... not out of the speakers but the headphone jack?

mine doesnt work after the upgrade...

cheers

Aj..

14. ahecktman

ahecktman Member

I had that and unfortnately discovered it on a flight. Here is what you do:

Go into device manager and remove the audio device.
    Then go to the Vaio website and go to the support site for your model.
    Go to the O/S Migration page.
    Download the new drivers forHD Audio. It will work fine.

15. ajayc

ajayc Member

LOL... so I did I, on the way back from DC last week!! I was p****ed!!!

I will try that, thank you

Aj...

16. alouloux

alouloux Member

hi all. Will protector suite QL 5.6 work with windows Xp (media center edition)? I prefer using Mozilla firefox browser(2.0.0.3) but the fingerprint sofware does not work with firefox anymore but still work wiht IE browser. Should i try to install protector suit Ql or is there another solution like a patch or a Fix someone has???

-Alex

17. alouloux

alouloux Member

p.s. Im using a Toshiba Satellite A105-S4114, with Windows Xp, Median Center editions, Version 2002, Service Pack 2

18. nine00

nine00 Member

I have a Vaio vgn-bx560b notebook with an old version of Protector Suite. I upgraded to Vista and the old version is not compatible with Vista. Is there a place where I can download Protector Suite QL 5.6xx?

Thank in advance.

19. carrlos27

carrlos27 Member

You can download it at Sony.com or at UPEK.com (http://www.upek.com/support/customersupport/).

20. ahecktman

ahecktman Member

Go into device manager and remove the audio device.
    Then go to the Vaio website and go to the support site for your model.
    Go to the O/S Migration page.
    Download the new drivers for HD Audio for that version of your Vaio from the Sony web site.