1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cant rip dvd..first timer..hit open disk and shuts me down

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by coffeeguy, Nov 19, 2003.

1. coffeeguy

coffeeguy Member

trying to shrink a dvd and when i hit open disk it starts to analyze and then it shuts down and restarts my computer..sometimes i get farther than other times but can't analyze all the way through w out getting shut down..tried using any dvd but doesn't work..tried queing up movie and once it starts i pause it (friend said this might work)..help..what to do??

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Try shutting off any antivirus program, and any auto startup programs that start with windows. Only thing running should be your dvd backup program like DVD shrink. You can't mult-task and copy dvds in most systems. Start and check this 1st. Then give us more about your system specs.
    Jerry

3. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

you did unlock the drive used didnt you? meaning play the disc in a software player for 5 mins to unlock protection then rip to HD!

thx...

What would the error message say?_X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 3000 BARTON! <----- LIKE A ROCKET!!!
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1013]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS CORSAIR PLATINUM PC3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  4. coffeeguy

coffeeguy Member

Actually this morning I used a different drive (plays dvds only) rather than my tdk 440 which burns and plays, and it seemed to work just fine. Other question though is with dvd shrink is there a way to completely remove the extras rather than just taking them down to still picture mode? The way the directions read make it sound like you can but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. One other question is I have a TDK DVD+RW that I tried burning something else onto and I thought that the "w" in +RW means that you can write on it multiple times, ie., record, erase, record, erase, etc...If i'm right, how do you erase previous material? Sorry to be so thick, but I'm learning slowly but surely here! Thanks, Coffee Guy!

5. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Coffeeguy, When you click re-author at top of shrink, it opens a duplicate window. Select all files from 1st window and drag to second window. Then delete anything you don't want. Then click backup. Check the guides here, they are very good.
    As to the RW disc, any of the burning programs have a disc erase or format for re-writables. When burning back to blank with Nero, it will ask if you want to overwrite. Just click yes if using the RW. Jerry