1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't rip music cds

Discussion in 'Audio' started by lannaman, Nov 17, 2003.

1. lannaman

lannaman Guest

I'm running Windows xp pro
    Pioneer dvr106
    Lite-on cd-rw
    Can anyone tell me why i can rip a audio cd with Windows media player no problem, but any other program/utilities gives me read errors.

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Maybe because WMP doesn't care about errors and doesn't feel like telling if there are any?

Seriously: Your description doesn't contain much information that can help to track down the problen, especially no details about these "read errors" (What exactly happens?). Maybe it's an ASPI problem.

I suggest to try Exact Audio Copy. A good setup guide is here: http://www.cd-rw.org/articles/archive/mydeneaclame.cfm

On some systems it's necessary to copy Ahead ASPI (WNASPI32.DLL) to EAC folder (you either find it somewhere in your Nero folder or on the net using google, e.g. here:

http://www.nero.com/en/631940733573829.html_X_X_X_X_X_[small]AFTERDAWN FORUM RULES: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487[/small]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2003
  3. lannaman

lannaman Guest

When i use MusicMatch I get " IO read error,retry in analog mode". It then reads in the analog mode, takes about 3 min to rip one song and when you play it back, nothing.
    I make sure all my drives have digital extraction enabled in device manager.

I'm gonna give your sugestion a try, thanks.

4. tigre

5. lannaman

lannaman Guest

My motherboard is a Epox 8k5a2+.
    I installed EAC according to the guide. Still no good. I also installed the latest VIA IDE drivers. Still does not work.
    Eac gives me a (cannot find read command error)
    I manually tried every read command, no good.
    I went back and tried some of the other programs, no good. Windows Media Player is still the only one that works.
    I also followed the link you suggested. Seems very simelar to what I have.

6. tigre

Did you try copying WNASPI32.dll as I've explained in my post before? You'll have to change the options in EAC options -> interface.

Unfortunately I can't give more detailed help as I've never had similar problems and official EAC forum is down ATM. You might want to reply in the hydrogenaudio thread and ask for details there.

7. lannaman

lannaman Guest

My external usb drive works.
    For now I'll live with that. If I find the solution i'll report back.

8. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

This is screaming ASPI at me --ow-- that's loud :p Have a go at http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm

9. lannaman

lannaman Guest

I have tried all the links suggested. I have learned more about ASPI than i can mention.
    I used forceaspi to set my aspi drivers to 4.60.
    I made sure the registry settings are correct.
    I tried different versions of aspi. I used aspichk to make sure all is well. Still nothing works.

In windows media player,using digital extraction and error correction, i can rip a song in about 8 seconds. Why can wma do it but nothing else can.
    Epox 8k5a2+
    AMD athlon xp 2400+
    512mb pc2700
    ati aiw radeon 8500DV
    pioneer dvr 106d
    liteon ltr-52246s cd-rw
    ide dvd-rom
    WDC 120g
    Maxtor 120g
    IBM 45g

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2003
  10. minix

minix Member

EAC Options -> Interface -> Native interface for Windows XP/2K

11. lannaman

lannaman Guest

I finally found the solution to my problem.
    Following the install guide for EAC, i put the Nero aspi dll in the EAC.exe directory.Using that config my cdrom drives show up on adapter1 and adapter2 which gives me constant read errors. When I remove nero aspi dll and use the system aspi drivers, my cdrom drives show up on adapter3 and adapter4. EAC runs perfectly, no more read errors.

I can only guess that since the Epox 8k5a2+ mb has a HPT372 raid port onboard, the system sees the raid IDE port as adapter1 and
    adapter2, where my hard drives are located, hence the read errors.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2003