1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't run freshly burned DVD on player?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by ILJester, Jan 21, 2005.

1. ILJester

ILJester Member

Hello everyone. I am kind of new to this and just successfully ripped my first DVD, thanks to the great guides on this site. It runs great on my PC with no problems when I pop it in.

The problem I am having is it will not run on my TV's DVD player. It does not even recognize that there is a DVD in the tray. I have an older Onkyo 6-Disc DVD player. Is this the problem? I just don't want to run out and buy a new DVD player if it still is not going to work.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance,

-ILJester

2. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

which programs are you using to rip and burn?

3. ILJester

ILJester Member

I used DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink to do the rip. I also used brand-new Memorex dvd-rw media.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  4. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

in order to have a successful rip/burn, you must have room on your hd, no programs or no major programs running on your computer, a defragged hd, and a good disc to burn---memorex not recommended.

5. ILJester

ILJester Member

What type/kind of media would you recommend?

6. Veblin

Veblin Active member

Why don't to go to the DVD-R media forum and see for yourself what other people recommend.

Discussion about various DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R and DVD+RW disc brands, their quality, etc.
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/forum_view.cfm/47

7. hardcandy

hardcandy Guest

When you ripped the dvd, did you mean you ripped it to your hard drive and then copied the video files to a dvd? Is there a separate VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS (should be empty) folder on the dvd?
    Something to check.
    Also, older dvd players have great difficulty reading burned dvd's. The best thing from the start is to buy a cheap player and use it to play burned dvd's. I use a $36 Proton and a $45 JVC slimline player. My 3 year old $175 JVC which I got because it can play audio dvd's with the 5.1 ouptput will not touch a burned dvd no matter what type of media is used. Plus the cheap ones will ususally play PAL and NTSC equally well.
    This one, http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000204SWE/ref=nosim/techbargainscom/102-0927812-7172903
    plays dvix, xvid, svcd,all dvd media except RAM, and all regions. Great player. $67 also Circuit City, Compusa, and other places have them too.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2005
  8. ILJester

ILJester Member

Thanks hardcandy! I will check for the folders when I get home.

It looks like I am going to have to buy a new DVD player, the one I have is about 4+ years old, when DVD's were not very common, hehe. That Philips looks along the lines of what I was thinking of getting.

Thanks again!

9. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

May I suggest you try the full working trial versions of AnyDVD & CloneDVD2 before you look at buying a new DVD Player.

Here is the link for you:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

Have fun!

10. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

your dvd player might work, but DONT use rw. try some -r discs (try to stay away from memorex also).

11. brobear

brobear Guest

It does sound like a compatibility issue. Did the Onkyo say what media it was compatible with or does Onkyo support supply any info? You only said a 6 disc player; anytime you mention a brand, it's a good idea to supply the model. -R was the original recordable media, so some of the earlier players would only play that format. Some will play +R, as my Samsung player will. I have a $69 Philips that plays +/- R/RW, MP3, SVCD, VCD, and audio CDs (not sure I got the whole list). One of my friends had a player that wouldn't play anything but factory discs. So playability depends a lot on the compatibility of the media with the player. (Of course it has to be recorded properly.)

One way to do a quick check is to take the recorded disc and put it in a player that is known to play that particular format. If it plays in a newer player and not yours, you have your answer.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2005
  12. iriedawta

iriedawta Guest

its probably the media also. i had memorex dvd-r media and i burnt two movies from it.my dvd player won't even recognize the disc! all this while i thought my dvd drives were corrupted and kept reinstalling and installing programs. and also, rebooting my computer to pick up the dvd drive after i uninstall it. that never worked. so i wasted about 5 dvds until i realize, let me try another media. i had tayo yuden media with me also. burnt it with that media and it played in my dvd palyer. tried tdk and verbatim it also played in my dvd player. memorex is a bad media, or so the dvd player says.

13. brobear

brobear Guest

I'll have to go with sly and iriedawta, memorex is a bit questionable. If it's playing on the PC, you know you have the files recorded and they play, just not on your standalone player. I still wonder if it isn't the format compatibility problem I mentioned.

14. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

Yeah, i guarentee its using rw thats the problem, but i just added that he should stay away from memorex no matter what format it is.

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Sly
    I'd say you're right. Do you know of any older players that will play the RW?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2005
  16. ILJester

ILJester Member

Hi everyone. I just wanted to let you know the status on this. I tried just using the different Verbatim DVD-R media on my older Onkyo player and still had no luck. It recognized there was a disc in the tray this time, but still would not play it.

So I decided to purchase a new player (needed one for the bedroom anyways) and both of the burns work great on it! The quality is amazing even at the fastest burn rate.

Thank you everyone, for your help.

17. brobear

brobear Guest

Glad you got the situation resolved. Now you may believe some of the odd compatibility problems I've run across. For some reason, people don't really seem to accept some of the odd compatibility problems until they've seen some of the problems themselves.